Chapter 23 - Type 1 Onslaught

The aircraft launched from the twelve carriers of the 1st Mobile Fleet, a total of 432 Type 1 carrier attack planes, faced no losses at the hands of the F4F Wildcat fighters. The 144 Zeros engaged in escort duty sealed off the enemy interceptors, accomplishing a flawless job.

Near the sea surface, not far from the 432 Type 1s, the Pacific Fleet's formation was visible. The surface strike force, consisting of five battleships, formed one unit, and three groups composed the mobile force, centered around two carriers.

"It's exactly as reported by the reconnaissance planes. Knowing the enemy's precise force composition in advance is such a blessing."

Since the transition of the Imperial Navy to an aviation-centric doctrine, the handling of information and communication has undergone significant changes. In the crucial realm of naval air warfare, swift information gathering and accurate analysis of enemy intelligence were essential for victory. To implement this, the 1st Mobile Fleet deployed as many as 32 Type 1s for reconnaissance, reaping immense benefits. With gratitude to the reconnaissance plane crews in his heart and a sense of respect for the naval high command, Commander Sannomiya, the leader of the Musashi air group and the ship's first squadron, gave clear instructions on the attack targets.

"Force A attacks the left flank, Force B attacks the center, and Force C attacks the right flank of the mobile force. The attack method and target selection will be left to the commander of each unit, but be careful not to overlap targets."

After a brief pause, Sannomiya continued with the instructions.

"I will designate the target and attack method for Force C. The third squadron with bombs will form a circular formation and attack cruisers and destroyers in squadrons, followed by the torpedo squadrons making their entry. The Shinano torpedo squadron targets the front carrier, the Kai torpedo squadron targets the rear carrier, and the Yamato torpedo and Musashi second squadron aim for the enemy cruisers. I will provide further instructions for the Musashi first squadron later. All planes, proceed with the assault!"

Under Sannomiya's orders, the 48 bomb-equipped Type 1s of the four squadrons dispersed, transitioning into attack formation. Each aircraft, further divided into sections, descended at a shallow angle towards cruisers and destroyers forming a circular formation, rushing towards their bombing points. The barrage from the American ships against these planes was intense. Bullets clustered around the Type 1s, and unlucky ones were shot down, crashing into the waters near Wake Island. However, considering the fierce anti-aircraft fire, the number of downed planes was not as high as expected. Thanks to significantly enhanced bulletproof equipment compared to the B5N, these planes barely avoided fatal damage. If it had been the weaker B5Ns, the number of planes shot down might have been several times as many.

Each bomb-equipped Type 1s carried four 250 kg bombs in its belly. Traditional dive bombers could carry at most one 250 kg bomb, making this payload four times larger. While the accuracy of glide bombing performed by the Type 1s might not match that of steep-dive bombing, it still promised the same number of hits with a quarter of the hit rate. In reality, there was not a fourfold difference in hit rates between glide and dive bombing, and glide bombing is more powerful than dive bombing, which uses dive brakes to slow down the bombers while dropping their payload.

The three cruisers and eight destroyers that endured the baptism of nearly two hundred 250 kg bombs were all hit without exception, losing their proud movements and suffering a substantial reduction in anti-air firepower. The torpedo-equipped Type 1s of the Shinano and Kai squadrons invaded the collapsed circular formation, forming an encirclement towards the two carriers. On the other hand, the Yamato squadron and the Musashi second squadron approached the three cruisers that were heavily damaged by the bombs. Each carrier was targeted by 24 planes, and each cruiser was targeted by 12 Type 1s. The carriers under encirclement received six to seven torpedoes each. Considering the hit rate, the results might be somewhat unsatisfactory, but sinking was inevitable. On the other hand, although the three cruisers were attacked from one side, avoiding two to three torpedoes, they still received a considerable number of bombs and multiple 1.000 kg torpedoes with more explosive power than the early models, leaving no chance of survival.

Sannomiya, having judged that the aircraft carrier and cruiser had suffered fatal damage, gave instructions to the Musashi first squadron under his direct command.

"The Musashi first squadron, target the destroyers whose speed has significantly diminished by sections. The enemy's anti-air firepower has been greatly damaged by the bombing squadrons, but there may still be a slight remaining counterattack capability. Never let your guard down."

Having given the order, Sannomiya, leading the Musashi first squadron's first section, directed the nose of his plane toward the nearest destroyer. Facing destroyers in their debut engagement was somewhat unsatisfactory, but he also acknowledged that such dissatisfaction was a luxury. The targeted destroyer, presumably damaged in the engine or hull by a 250 kg bomb, was moving slowly, and there was hardly any counterattack. Sannomiya and his wingmen, who had leisurely reached the ideal firing point, dropped their deadly Type 91 aerial torpedoes. After passing through the smoke emitted by the destroyer's bow, a report from his subordinate in the rear seat indicated that two torpedoes had hit.

Having surpassed the range of enemy anti-aircraft fire, Sannomiya climbed to survey the entire battlefield. Of the two carriers, one had already sunk below the sea surface, and the remaining one was submerging most of its hull into the sea. All three cruisers were tilting dangerously, and one of them exposed its mangled side to the sea surface. Half of the destroyers had either sunk or capsized, and the remaining four had suffered damage without a single one being unscathed. As Sannomiya was confirming the achievements of Force C, reports were coming in from other squadrons.

"Force A sank two carriers and three cruisers. In addition, five destroyers were sunk and three disabled."

"Force B sank two carriers and three cruisers. In addition, four destroyers were sunk and four disabled."

The other two groups also achieved results equal to or surpassing Force C. While satisfied with the results that could be considered overly successful for a debut, Sannomiya turned the nose of his aircraft towards the direction of the 1st Mobile Fleet.