Chapter 31 - Fighter Sweep

The radar bases on the island of Oahu, of which there are several, were filled with an unprecedented sense of tension.

"Oahu could never be hit by an air raid."

Until now, everyone had worked in a relaxed atmosphere, and more than that, in a slackened mood. However, on this day, not only multiple officers from the Army and Navy but also radar technicians had arrived before dawn. They surrounded the radar operators with serious expressions. Even the camouflage of the base, which would not normally be implemented, was thorough. At each base, the radar was operated not by those on duty but by the most skilled operators on Oahu, who were compelled to work on their day off. Despite being forced to work on their day off, these operators were working hard.

"The success of Oahu's defense depends on how quickly and accurately we can detect the enemy. I apologize for calling you in on a holiday, but I rely on you, the best radar operators, in the face of Oahu's greatest crisis."

There was no harm in being personally requested by the Army commander for the Hawaiian sector.

And, as the night turned to dawn, a time when early risers might be having breakfast, there was a commotion in the radar base. On the radar scope, a large formation approaching Oahu was displayed on the radar scope. At a glance, it was clear that this was not an ordinary-sized force. The radar operators quickly read the direction, speed, and number of aircraft in the advancing formation and conveyed it to the Army and Navy officers waiting in the rear.

The Army officers sent the information read by the radar operators to the information consolidation department, and the Navy officers, using a hotline temporarily set up, swiftly communicated the impending Japanese aerial attack to various units according to the predetermined procedures. And unbelievably quickly, formations of allied fighter planes raced through the airspace above them, exceeding the usual scramble by orders of magnitude. According to reports from those on monitoring duty outside, even just visually, there were dozens of aircraft.

The Oahu fighter squadron had anticipated the arrival of Japanese planes and had made perfect preparations. After seeing off their allied fighter planes, the personnel at the radar base immediately turned their attention back to the radar scope and operators. According to the pre-received briefing, the Japanese navy had twelve aircraft carriers. However, the attack involved 300 aircraft. In that case, the likelihood of a second wave was extremely high.

. . .

"The enemy's first wave consists of 300 aircraft. Without a doubt, it's a combination of fighters and bombers. Intercept the Japanese planes immediately, and have the escort fighters strip away the enemy's fighters! The currently launching ready-to-scramble group should wait over the airfield for the enemy bombers. The SBD squad, set to take off next, should be on standby over the airfield in case the ready-to-scramble group misses any enemy bombers. Regarding the SBD squad, engaging in combat with enemy fighters is strictly prohibited."

While listening to the instructions of the air control commander, Major George Ryan, flying a P-40, clicked his tongue at the maneuvering of the specks ahead. The altitude, which should have been the same at the time of discovery, was gradually but in a bad sense, widening. In other words, the enemy had better climbing performance. After all, aerial combat is a contest for altitude. Seizing the airspace above the enemy's head gives a decisive advantage. If skills and aircraft performance are equal, a turnaround is nearly impossible.

However, what drove the veteran Ryan to impatience was the highly organized formation of the Japanese planes. Three formations of around 100 planes each, and there wasn't a single flaw in any of them. The conclusion drawn from this was clear: they were extremely skilled. Against the 300 of them, there were about 90 P-40s, along with about 30 Navy and Marine Corps F4Fs and F2As as reinforcements. Although a roughly equal number of ready-to-scramble units would likely arrive in this airspace slightly later, there was no time to wait for them. Furthermore, the primary task of the initial group was to engage the enemy fighters. The ready-to-scramble units would then strike the exposed enemy bombers.

"Squadrons one to five, form the left wing; squadrons eleven to fifteen, form the right wing. The Navy and Marines in the center, attack the enemy."

Receiving the orders from the air combat commander, Ryan, with his 44 wingmen, headed towards the right-wing formation. If half of the enemy were composed of fighters, their number should be roughly similar to theirs. Thinking so, as they charged towards the enemy, the enemy formation, all of them, descended from above towards them. At the same time, Ryan realized his mistake.

"Did they really pack all their planes with fighters!?"

Despite the disadvantage in altitude and numbers, Ryan did not give up. Betting on the performance of the Browning machine guns that continued firing even after being launched, he approached with preemptive gunfire. Streaks of bullets were also launched from behind his aircraft towards the Japanese fighters. However, the Japanese fighters easily dodged them with minimal maneuvers and unleashed thicker bullets than the Browning machine guns from each of their wings.

At the same time, an explosion occurred behind Ryan. Someone from his subordinates must have taken a hit from the bullets fired by the Japanese fighters. Even the robust P-40 couldn't withstand the large-caliber machine gun bullets. At the moment of the intersection with the Japanese planes, Ryan discerned their identity as Zero Fighters.

"The goal is not to shoot down the enemy planes! Just stick it out so that you're not shot down! The backup ready-to-scramble units should appear in this airspace soon. If that happens, the situation will be reversed!"

While encouraging his subordinates over the radio, Ryan was aware that it was just wishful thinking. Against 300 Zeros, even if the backup units joined, they would be less than 250. Moreover, in this brief moment, quite a few allied fighters had been devoured by the Zero Fighters.

"They launched a fighter sweep with 300 fighters. On the other hand, we were deluded into thinking it was a combination of fighters and bombers just because of their numbers. Now, the price is being paid with the blood and lives of my subordinates."

With emotions that couldn't be fully expressed with words like remorse and regret, Ryan surveyed the surroundings. Roughly speaking, the ratio of our fighters to theirs was becoming one to two or even one to three or more. It was a very dire situation. Originally, fleeing would be an option, but if they did that, the backup units would be surrounded.

"What do we do?"

A few moments of contemplation, but that became an opening. A Zero Fighter directly above Ryan descended at an almost vertical angle, spewing out 20 mm bullets generously. There were small characters on the fuselage: 'Kōtetsu.'

In the next moment, the P-40 exploded, and simultaneously, Ryan's thoughts were blown away.