Chapter 36 - Force Dispersal

"The announcement has not been made yet, but after the southern campaign has concluded, the 1st Mobile Fleet will undergo a significant restructuring. The composition of each fleet centered around aircraft carriers remains unchanged. However, to ensure a balanced force, each fleet will be equipped with one each of the Yamato-class aircraft carriers, Kongō-class aircraft carriers, and two Amagi-class aircraft carriers."

1st Mobile Fleet

- First Fleet

-- Aircraft carriers Yamato, Amagi, Katsuragi, Hiei

-- Heavy cruiser Aoba

-- Destroyers Yukikaze, Hatsukaze, Amatsukaze, Tokitsukaze, Urakaze, Isokaze, Hamakaze, Tanikaze

- Second Fleet

-- Aircraft carriers Musashi, Kasagi, Aso, Kirishima

-- Heavy cruiser Kinugasa

-- Destroyers Kuroshio, Oyashio, Hayashio, Natsushio, Asashio, Ōshio, Michishio, Arashio

- Third Fleet

-- Aircraft carriers Shinano, Ikoma, Tsukuba, Kongō

-- Heavy cruiser Furutaka

-- Destroyers Akigumo, Yūgumo, Makigumo, Kazagumo, Asagumo, Yamagumo, Natsugumo, Minegumo

- Fourth Fleet

-- Aircraft carriers Kai, Ibuki, Kurama, Haruna

-- Heavy cruiser Kako

-- Destroyers Hagikaze, Maikaze, Nowaki, Arashi, Kagerō, Shiranui, Kasumi, Hail

Directly under the Combined Fleet

- Fifth Fleet

-- Battleships Nagato, Mutsu

-- Heavy cruisers Myōkō, Haguro, Nachi, Ashigara

-- Destroyers Umikaze, Yamakaze, Kawakaze, Suzukaze, Murasame, Yūdachi, Harusame, Samidare

"Of these, the First and Second Fleets will participate in the Indian Ocean operation. It would be ideal to deploy twelve carriers to the operation as you hoped, Yamamoto, but doing so would likely make the Eastern Fleet inclined to avoid battle. The Eastern Fleet has significantly inferior air power compared to the Pacific Fleet and Oahu, and they are aware of this. Also, the Kongō-class carriers that participated in the southern campaign are all on their way back. Once these four ships return to the mainland, they will undergo maintenance, and upon completion, they will engage in joint fleet training."

While listening to Yoshida's explanation, Yamamoto, who had been focused on the organizational chart until then, raised his face and posed a question.

"I have no objection to the Indian Ocean operation being carried out by the First and Second fleets. If we deploy eight carriers and five hundred forty carrier-based aircraft against the Eastern Fleet, it should be more than sufficient. However, during this time, what about the Third and Fourth fleets? Surely, it's not for the luxury of waiting to prepare for the Pacific Fleet, or perhaps engaging in extended training at this point, right?"

Anticipating Yamamoto's question, Yoshida nodded slightly and continued with the explanation.

"The Third and Fourth Fleets, as well as the Fifth Fleet directly under the Combined Fleet's command, will strike Brisbane while the First and Second Fleet are on a business trip to the Indian Ocean. The Pacific Fleet as Australia's eastern guardian was already eliminated, and if we eliminate the Eastern Fleet, Australia's isolation will be decisive. If we successfully annihilate the Eastern Fleet and simultaneously set Brisbane ablaze, we can reap the resolve of the Australian government to continue the war. The impression of Australia towards Japan would undoubtedly be at its worst, but there's no helping that."

In response to Yoshida's words, Yamamoto, however, harbored the natural concern of a military man. This is a typical case of dispersing forces, considered a foolish strategy even within military tactics, and it can even be called a taboo act. However, as Yoshida mentioned earlier, if the 1st Mobile Fleet goes all out to the Indian Ocean, there is a high probability that the Eastern Fleet will not show itself.

The Anglo-Saxons, who are logical and realistic in all things, naturally avoid engaging in battles where they know they will lose. Moreover, the idea of striking Brisbane is not bad at all. If the First and Second Fleets engage in combat with the Eastern Fleet, the Third, Fourth, and Fifth Fleets can focus on attacking Brisbane without the worry of being flanked by the American and British fleets. Brisbane, not just the third-largest city in Australia but also possessing a highly influential submarine base, is a target worth striking. If we hit it, the safety of the sea route connecting Japan and the southern resource zone will undoubtedly increase significantly.

"I have one question. I don't oppose the attack on Brisbane, but even so, are the Third and Fourth Fleets sufficiently equipped? We are directly hitting an important city in the enemy's home country. Isn't there a significant risk of being severely beaten with insufficient force?"

Expressing concern on his face, Yamamoto turned to Yoshida. However, Yoshida reassured him while presenting the rationale.

"That's not a problem. Australia's aircraft are primarily deployed in the northern regions, including Port Moresby. Also, considering the impact of the complete destruction of the Pacific Fleet and the devastation of Oahu, it's known that the influx of war resources, such as aircraft, from the United States to Australia will be unexpectedly limited. The United States will inevitably prioritize strengthening the defense of the West Coast and the restoration of Oahu, and they won't be able to spare much for Australia. As for the Australian Navy, although they have some strength, their main force is comprised of heavy cruisers, so they are not enemies to be feared by the Imperial Navy. Rather, what needs attention is the American submarines based in Brisbane."

While Brisbane is the third-largest city in Australia, its defenses undoubtedly do not match those of Oahu. If there are no issues with the enemy's strength, the rest is our problem.

"I want to ask one more thing. Who will take command of the Brisbane attack? Since you're consolidating three fleets, it requires someone with considerable ability and rank. If that's the case, the candidates for such a role are limited."

Facing Yamamoto's questioning expression, Yoshida, unusually showing his white teeth, responded, "The one you're looking for is right in front of you."