Chapter 25 - Attack Postponement

"The results achieved by Forces A, B, and C, which attacked the three groups comprising the enemy mobile fleet, are as follows: six aircraft carriers, nine cruisers, and thirteen destroyers have been sunk. Among the aircraft carriers, two have large smokestacks located behind the bridge, three have integrated smokestacks and bridges, and one has a small bridge. Among these, it is safe to assume that the ones with large smokestacks are the Lexington and Saratoga, and the one with a small bridge is the Ranger. Furthermore, among the ones with integrated smokestacks and bridges, four belong to the Yorktown-class and Wasp. However, since the Hornet is active in the Atlantic, the sunk ones are likely the Enterprise, Yorktown, and the Wasp. Regarding the nine sunk cruisers, there are two types: those equipped with twin turrets and triple turrets mixed, and those with three triple turrets. It has been confirmed that both types are heavy cruisers based on their turret configurations. As for the destroyers, confirmation is pending, but none of them are of the type colloquially known as the 'four stackers,' so it is likely that it's the relatively newer models that were sunk. Regarding the carrier-based aircraft, during the escort of the attack planes, the fighters engaged in combat with over 100 F4F Wildcat fighters, shooting down 87 of them. Additionally, the combat air patrol unit intercepted over 300 enemy attack planes, annihilating the majority except for some fighters and dive bombers."

The aviation staff read the report in a calm tone, but the excitement was evident in his voice. In the first round of the decisive battle with the Pacific Fleet, they achieved results comparable to or even surpassing the Battle of Tsushima.

"Now, regarding our losses, among the attacking units, 11 fighters and 42 attackers from the attack group, and 23 fighters from the combat air patrol unit did not return."

Both the Type 1s attacking enemy ships and the Zero fighters from the combat air patrol unit suffered significant losses. However, the fact that the percentage of losses is within 10% is deemed acceptable, thanks to the improved armor for crew protection. If these had been fragile planes such as the old A5Ms and B5Ns, the number of planes that did not return might have doubled or even tripled.

"If you can, please provide the number of available Type 1 carrier attack planes immediately."

In response to Admiral Yamamoto's concise question, the aviation staff consulted his notes.

"Of the aircraft that participated in the morning attack, the immediately usable planes are 42 for Force A, 41 for Force B, and similarly, 41 for Force C. In addition, Force C has around 30 planes available for tasks such as reconnaissance, forward scouting, and contact maintenance, excluding those currently on missions."

Considering that out of the 432 Type 1s that participated in the morning attack, only 124 are immediately usable, the force has been reduced to less than 30% of its original strength. This indicates a significant number of damaged aircraft, suggesting that the American ships possess formidable anti-air capabilities. While acknowledging the numbers presented by the aviation staff, Yamamoto raised the question that concerns him the most.

"How is B1 doing?"

"According to reports from reconnaissance planes, they are still in the current area. Also, each of the 16 destroyers accompanying the unit has been dispatched to the enemy mobile fleet, with four destroyers each. Since all of the mobile fleet's destroyers have been sunk, it is assumed that they are now engaged in rescuing survivors. Regarding B1, out of the five battleships, three are of the Colorado-class, and the remaining two are equipped with four triple turrets, so they are likely either Tennessee-class, New Mexico-class, or Pennsylvania-class. Additionally, the four cruisers are equipped with five triple turrets each, so they are undoubtedly of the Brooklyn-class light cruisers."

According to the aviation staff's report, there were approximately 30 immediately usable Type 1s, released from reconnaissance or forward scouting duties out of the 124 engaged in the attack mission. With around 150 remaining Type 1s, it was almost certain that the sinking of the five remaining American battleships was within reach. The remaining challenge is how to defeat the four undamaged Brooklyn class light cruisers and the sixteen destroyers. However, there was something that needed confirmation about that.

"How many of the slightly damaged attack planes can we reinforce in one night if we repair the relatively lightly damaged ones?"

Anticipating Yamamoto's question, the aviation staff answered without glancing at the notes.

"According to Yamato's flight chief, it is estimated that we can increase the number by about five to six planes. If we apply this to the entire fleet, it is thought that we can conservatively estimate an additional 60 planes."

If initiated today, an attack on the remaining American fleet could be launched with 150 planes, and by tomorrow, with over 200 Type 1s.

"We will not proceed with the attack today. Crew members not assigned to tasks such as airborne combat patrol or contact maintenance should rest immediately. The difference in combat effectiveness between the fatigued 150 planes and the refreshed 200 planes is significant. Also, let's give equipment instructions in advance. Arm all attack planes with torpedoes. The primary targets are battleships, followed by cruisers. As for the fighters, unless there's anything unusual, leave one squadron for airborne combat patrol and deploy the remaining aircraft equipped with bombs. Our primary targets are destroyers, followed by cruisers. Fighter pilots should have received training in glide bombing, so there shouldn't be any issues. Additionally, with the bombs, even if it's a near miss, it can cause significant damage to the thin-hulled destroyers. Regarding the attack strategy, leave it to the squadron commanders. We can't predict what will happen on-site. If we fail to completely eliminate the enemy in tomorrow's second attack, we will proceed with a third attack, but I'm sure everything will be fine."