Chapter 69 - Aviation-Centric Combined Fleet

Of the 413 Ryūsei from the second wave that returned, 344, excluding 69 that were severely damaged or malfunctioned, were equipped with the Funryū again. These planes, along with 240 Reppū and multiple Densei for attack command and contact maintenance, headed out towards the American mobile task force as the third wave. Despite facing formidable naval vessels with excellent anti-air capabilities, the fact that only 19 Ryūsei did not return can be attributed to the Americans prioritizing the destruction of the incoming projectiles, resulting in less-than-expected anti-aircraft fire directed towards the Ryūsei.

The achievements of the second attack unit, utilizing the Funryū, were tremendous. All nine small carriers were sunk, a quarter of the 16 cruisers had already sunk, and 18 out of 64 destroyers had disappeared beneath the sea. Only eight Essex-class carriers remained undamaged, while the rest of the vessels were heavily damaged or in a state of disarray.

Then, the merciless onslaught of the third wave began.

First, the 240 fighters carried out glide bombing attacks on cruisers and destroyers that had lost their ability to maneuver and counterattack, dropping nearly 500 bombs. Despite a somewhat unsatisfactory hit rate of around 20% against the evading cruisers and destroyers, nearly 100 direct hits and an almost equal number of effective near misses inflicted decisive damage on the enemy. As a result of increasing damage, many hit cruisers and destroyers were rapidly dragged beneath the sea. Still, against those unable to sink, nearly half of the Ryūsei plunged into them like executioners. Upon witnessing the complete elimination of escort vessels, a surrender ultimatum was issued to the eight Essex-class carriers from the Densei.

"Wait five minutes. Choose between surrendering to rescue drowning comrades or abandoning them and attempting escape."

In response to the plain messages and spoken words transmitted through radio from multiple radio-guided weapons, all eight Essex-class carriers raised white flags, stopped on the open sea, and immediately began rescuing survivors. Even if they attempted to escape, it was evident that they couldn't escape from the over one hundred Japanese attack aircraft and their guided missiles. Above all, abandoning comrades and attempting escape was an unthinkable choice for men living at sea. There was no need to weigh reason and emotion on the scales for the captains of the Essex-class carriers; the choices were never there from the beginning.

. . .

Upon receiving a report from the special task force sent to the American mobile task force that they had captured the Essex-class aircraft carriers, Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto, the commander of the 1st Mobile Fleet, breathed a sigh of relief in his heart.

Now, the US Navy had been decisively dealt with.

9 light carriers, 16 cruisers, and 64 destroyers had been sunk, and 8 large carriers had been captured. The losses in personnel would amount to tens of thousands, with thousands of crew members alone. Of course, even though the latest Essex-class carriers would continue to be built, they would be of no use without capable personnel to operate them. Of the captured eight Essex-class carriers, one would be transported back to Japan for research purposes. As the latest type of Essex-class carrier, it was expected to provide valuable data on electronic warfare equipment, emergency command devices, and various advanced technologies. The remaining seven would be sent westward to Europe. The German and the Italian navies would incorporate them into the core forces of the newly formed mobile task force. With the Imperial Navy already possessing twenty carriers and anticipating the completion of the wartime emergency-built carrier, the modified Amagi-class, there was no spare capacity to integrate eight American carriers at once.

However, this meant that the United States would now face a powerful pincer attack from both the East and the West. The German and the Italian navies, operating carriers Graf Zeppelin and Aquila, respectively, were accumulating expertise in carrier operations and conducting extensive training for carrier-based aircraft personnel. Additionally, two captured Illustrious-class carriers from the United Kingdom, converted to a modified version, were already undergoing familiarization training, with one nearing completion.

Moreover, with battleships like the Tirpitz and the Scharnhorst-class, as well as battleships like the Vittorio Veneto-class and King George V-class, the surface strike capabilities far exceeded those of the Imperial Navy. The US Navy had to prepare not only for the Pacific but also for the Atlantic, facing both mobile task forces and large surface strike vessels. For the US Navy, facing a shortage of human resources, this was an overwhelming challenge, or rather, a formidable problem.

Admiral Yamamoto aboard the aircraft carrier Yamato received a message from the homeland: "Tora, Tora, Tora."

The meaning of that message was known only to Yamamoto.

"We are about to begin peace negotiations with the United States."

Before setting out for the Battle of Midway, Yamamoto had been informed of confidential information by Navy Hori. According to Hori, the prevalence of anti-war sentiment in the United States was more severe than they could imagine, especially among the West Coast residents fearing the arrival of the Japanese fleet. They ardently wished for a swift end to the war. Moreover, influential members of the opposition Republican Party and powerful lawmakers from the ruling party with strongholds on the West Coast had approached them with a certain scenario.

"This war is not the will of the United States but was provoked by President Roosevelt's grandstanding. The diplomatic document called the Hull Note eloquently proves this."

Of course, negotiations were never guaranteed to succeed. The proposal for peace would undoubtedly trigger various issues domestically in Japan, and coordination with Germany and Italy would be necessary. Nevertheless, Yamamoto was relatively optimistic about this matter.

Hori, the most outstanding among his contemporaries, presided over military governance, and Deputy Navy Minister Shigeyoshi Inoue, also known as the "Razor," was a sharp and capable officer supporting him. They had skillfully arranged support from the authorities and their surroundings, completing the organization of the anti-war faction, and were already taking steps to eliminate the protracted war faction. Moreover, Navy Chief of Staff Shiozawa and Commander-in-Chief of the Combined Fleet Yoshida, also from the same generation, would undoubtedly be of significant assistance.

"Nevertheless, it's quite remarkable that the Imperial Navy, which has only two battleships, managed to fight the United States this far."

While chuckling inwardly, Yamamoto recalled the words of a certain person.

"The Combined Fleet that is focused on air power. There is no other path for the Imperial Navy to follow."

THE END

Thank you for reading until the end.