Chapter 57 - Not Implemented

In the morning's two reconnaissance missions, Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto, commander of the 1st Mobile Fleet, became convinced that there were no American fleets in the surrounding waters. He then ordered the waiting 96 Shiden Kai and 168 Type 1s to attack Oahu. The Shiden Kai was tasked with sweeping the remaining enemy fighters, while the Type 1s attacked the airfields, showering the runways and associated facilities with bombs.

In the afternoon, upon the return of the first and second waves, the Shiden Kai of both groups were assigned the mission of providing direct air cover over the fleet. Meanwhile, the 384 other Shiden Kai, previously on air defense duty, took off for Oahu. Each wing of the deployed Shiden Kai was equipped with one 250 kg bomb, and these aircraft also attacked the airfield complexes on Oahu.

For the pilots of the Shiden Kai, who had been training to hit fast-moving vessels at sea, bombing large and stationary runways and facilities was a relatively easy task. The bombing effectiveness of the 384 Shiden Kai, with a bomb load twice that of the old D1A, was significant, rendering most of Oahu's runways unusable.

Furthermore, later in the afternoon, the Shiden Kai and Type 1s from the second wave launched a second assault. The land-based artillery positions on Oahu suffered considerable damage from the attacks. Among these artillery positions were some with incredibly robust structures, repurposed from battleship turrets. However, due to their lower priority compared to the restoration of airfields and harbor facilities, these positions had not yet completed construction.

. . .

"By the first and second waves in the morning, as well as the third and fourth waves in the afternoon, it can be concluded that the airfields and artillery positions on Oahu have been annihilated. In terms of achievements, we shot down over 500 enemy fighter planes in aerial combat and destroyed around 200 aircraft of various types in ground attacks. Additionally, many of the bombing squadrons that evacuated into the air were forced to make emergency landings in locations other than the airfields. As a result, the aerial threat from the Oahu air squadron has completely disappeared."

Yamamoto, with a nod of understanding, allowed the aviation staff to continue the report.

"As for our losses, we have lost 39 fighters and 13 attackers have not returned. Regarding the fighters, half were lost in aerial combat, and the other half were damaged by anti-aircraft fire from the ground. All losses of the attackers were due to anti-aircraft fire. Many of the damaged planes have also suffered significant damage, but for those with less severe damage, we are expediting the repair process. Currently, there are 517 operational fighters and 128 operational attackers among the immediately usable aircraft."

Although the operational capacity of both the Shiden Kai and the Type 1 has decreased to less than 60% compared to the start of the operation, the 1st Mobile Fleet still has 645 aircraft available. With ongoing repairs, it is anticipated that at least 700 aircraft will be operational, and if things go well, it may be possible to increase the operational capacity to nearly 800.

"What do you think, Chief of Staff?"

Asked for his opinion, Chief of Staff Kiyohide Shima took a moment to consider.

Yamamoto's concise question likely pertained to the decision of whether to conduct nighttime naval bombardment using the Fifth Fleet, the surface strike force, tonight instead of an aerial attack tomorrow. During last year's attack on Oahu, the battleships Nagato and Mutsu pounded Pearl Harbor with over 1.000 41 cm shells, setting ablaze fuel tanks and turning the harbor into a sea of death. And the impact of 1.000 shells is equivalent to the amount of iron and gunpowder dropped by 1.000 Type 1s. It's clear from the achievements of Nagato and Mutsu how formidable the power of a battleship that dives into the enemy's heart can be. With the elimination of aerial threats and the near-complete destruction of artillery positions, ideally, the Fifth Fleet should be employed for such an attack. However...

"I'm not opposed to initiating naval bombardment, but if we're going to do this, we should first confirm the presence of enemy submarines through mine sweeping and reconnaissance in the nearby waters. When conducting naval bombardment against Oahu's base, we can pinpoint where the vessels will carry out the attack. Additionally, many enemy vessels are likely to have taken measures, such as laying mines or deploying submarines. Especially here at Oahu, it's probably a source for submarine warfare, and we should exercise caution."

Yamamoto expressed satisfaction with Shima's response. Shima was promoted to vice admiral in May and, under normal circumstances, should hold a higher-ranking position, such as a key position on land or even as the fleet commander. However, Yamamoto, wanting to keep him close, appealed to the Navy Ministry, securing permission for Shima to remain as Chief of Staff until the conclusion of this operation.

"As the Chief of Staff suggests. Unfortunately, within our Imperial Navy, there are too many people who want to repeat a successful operation two or three times. Our success means their failure. Unless they are complete fools, they will have prepared countermeasures. The enemy on Oahu may have also taken precautions in anticipation of our naval bombardment. It would be unwise to throw the Fifth Fleet into the jaws of danger when the enemy is well-prepared," Yamamoto said, turning turned his attention back to the aviation staff. "Give the pilots some rest immediately. For the maintenance crews, I appreciate your hard work. Do your best to increase the number of operational aircraft for a while longer. Also, tomorrow, just like today, deploy reconnaissance planes first to confirm the presence of American fleets in the waters near Oahu Island. In preparation for the possible appearance of American fleets, do not send out the attackers in the morning. Let the first attack wave, armed with bomb-equipped fighters, attack the remaining untouched targets. Afterward, if an American fleet is detected, attack it. If not, in the afternoon, send half of the attackers to attack Oahu and the remaining half for submarine hunting."