Chapter 40 - Armored Aircraft Carrier Sunk

"The First Fleet is the vanguard mobile unit, and the Second Fleet is to attack the rear surface striking force. Regarding the attack strategy of the vanguard mobile unit, follow the instructions of the commander of the First Fleet."

Commander Sannomiya, the overall commander of the attack formation, entrusted the command of the attack squad launched from the First Fleet to Lieutenant Commander Hanakuma, the leader of the Yamato carrier attack squadron. He confirmed the fleet composition and formation of the vanguard mobile unit below. Two cruisers and six destroyers formed a modest circular formation, with two aircraft carriers arranged side by side in the center.

"Amagi bomber squadron to the cruisers on the left flank, the Katsuragi bomber squadron to the right flank, and the Yamato and Hiei bomber squadrons target the destroyers. Be careful to avoid overlapping targets among the squads for destroyers. The torpedo squadrons will initiate an assault after the bombing squad completes the attack. The Amagi torpedo squadron attacks from the port side of the front carrier, the Katsuragi torpedo squadron attacks from the starboard side of the front carrier. The Yamato torpedo squadron attacks from the port side of the rear carrier, and the Hiei torpedo squadron attacks from the starboard side of the rear carrier."

Following Hanakuma's orders, the clearly designated targets, the Amagi and Katsuragi bomber squadrons transitioned to a gentle descent first. Among the Type 1 attackers launched from both the First and Second Fleets, each carrier had 12 planes equipped with Type 91 aerial torpedoes, and the remaining aircraft all carried four 250 kg bombs.

Against these Type 1s, the vanguard mobile unit launched an anti-aircraft barrage in retaliation. However, from the perspective of the crew exposed to the intense gunfire of the Pacific Fleet, the force of the anti-aircraft fire was so weak that it elicited sympathy. Nevertheless, damaged aircraft continued to increase. Bombing and torpedo attacks inevitably required getting close to the target. However, a few were shot down en route, and the Katsuragi and Amagi bombers successfully dropped their bombs.

The heavy cruisers Cornwall and Dorsetshire were the ones subjected to the barrage of bombs. In this attack, the Cornwall took three hits, and the Dorsetshire took five hits. The overall hit rate of less than 10% was a dismal result compared to dive bombing, but even for heavy cruisers boasting firepower second only to battleships, it was not safe to withstand multiple 250 kg bombs. Both ships were hit in the engine compartments, and due to the severe damage, they could only crawl forward.

Slightly behind, six British destroyers were also attacked by 24 bombers equipped with bombs and out of nearly 100 dropped bombs, not a single ship escaped, and all the ships emitted thick smoke from the hit areas, significantly impairing their maneuverability.

"Now it's our turn."

While feeling satisfaction at the achievements of the bombing squad, Hanakuma calmly broke through the collapsed circular formation and approached the enemy carrier at the rear of the two. From the opposite side, just like themselves, the Hiei torpedo squadron should be rapidly approaching to thrust deadly torpedoes into the enemy carrier's side. As they approached the enemy carrier, black clouds swirled around the Yamato torpedo squadron. With the high-angle guns mounted on the side, they were firing to shoot down the Type 1s. However, the density of the barrage was thin, and the explosion positions were far behind the Yamato torpedo squad.

"Or perhaps they are estimating the specifications with the same speed as Swordfish and Albacore."

It's infuriating to be compared to outdated biplane torpedo bombers with their state-of-the-art Type 1 attackers, but if that's what saved them, there's no room for complaints. As Hanakuma closed the distance, he confirmed that the bridge of the aircraft carrier in front of him was integrated with the smokestack.

"An Illustrious-class armored aircraft carrier. Attacking with only the torpedo squadron was the right decision."

If it were an Illustrious-class aircraft carrier with a steel-plated flight deck, the 250-kilogram bombs probably wouldn't be able to penetrate its armor. Of course, the Type 1s could also carry 500 or 800 kg bombs, but none of the aircraft were equipped with them, and in any case, torpedo attacks were more effective with a higher expected hit rate.

As Hanakuma saw through the identity of the British aircraft carrier, bullets were now being launched from the carrier he had targeted. It seemed that their Type 1s had entered the effective range of the carrier's machine guns or anti-aircraft guns. The aircraft carrier in front of them turned its bow towards them, likely trying to minimize the target area for torpedo hits. However, this action exposed its broadside to the Hiei torpedo squadron approaching from the opposite side.

In response to the aircraft carrier's movement, Hanakuma slightly tilted the nose to the left and then swung it to the right a moment later. The bullets launched from the aircraft carrier were fierce, but during evasion maneuvers, they probably couldn't accurately target them. So far, none of the aircraft from the Yamato torpedo squadron had been shot down.

"Fire!"

As the torpedo was dropped from Hanakuma's aircraft, his subordinates' planes followed suit. In the next moment, there was an explosion in the rear. Judging by the position, it was likely Okamoto or Mikage's plane. Alternatively, the removal of nearly a one-ton object might have caused the aircraft to rise, making it vulnerable to machine gun fire. While mourning the loss of comrades, Hanakuma and the eleven Type 1s maneuvered to evade the effective range of the carrier's anti-aircraft guns, avoiding the bow and stern. From the opposite side, the Hiei torpedo squadron, having completed their torpedo runs, emerged. Hoping there wouldn't be a mid-air collision, Hanakuma pushed forward at sea level until he escaped the effective range of enemy anti-aircraft weapons.

Escaping the effective range of enemy anti-aircraft weapons and gaining altitude, joyful voices from subordinates reached Hanakuma's ears.

"Water pillars on the port side, and another one! Water pillars on the starboard side, and another one, two, three!"

Even though the 24 Type 1s executed an ideal pincer attack, Hanakuma couldn't help but feel dissatisfied that only six torpedoes hit. However, it was a fact that they had inflicted a fatal blow to the targeted aircraft carrier.

"The Katsuragi and Amagi squadrons have finished their attack run. Seven torpedoes hit the Illustrious-class aircraft carrier, she's sinking."

Reports of achievements also came in from the Amagi and Katsuragi torpedo squadrons that attacked the aircraft carrier in the front. Just like the Yamato and Hiei torpedo squadrons, they successfully sank the armored aircraft carrier.