Chapter 32 - A Trap Off Oahu

In the first attack of the morning, the combat planes of the first attack group, consisting of 288 Zero fighters, thoroughly overwhelmed the American fighter squadron on Oahu. Furthermore, the second attack group, comprising 192 Zero fighters, delivered the finishing blow. In the afternoon, the fleet's air defense was entrusted to the Zero fighters that participated in both the first and second waves. The 144 Zeros, which had previously been engaged in close air support missions, now equipped with 250 kg bombs, bombed various airfields on Oahu, causing extensive damage to runways and associated facilities.

After sunset, the surface strike force, consisting mainly of the battleships Nagato and Mutsu along with four Myōkō-class heavy cruisers, moved south to launch a naval bombardment on Oahu. However, upon detecting the presence of the American fleet, the same force promptly reversed course and moved away from the island.

"Is it certain that the Japanese surface strike force, including Nagato and Mutsu, has reversed course?"

In response to the intelligence staff's report, Admiral Kinkaid confirmed with a voice tainted by distrust. The bastards who had crushed the Pacific Fleet during the Battle of Wake Island wouldn't simply turn back without doing anything; that was the expression he wore.

"There is no mistake, sir. Surviving seaplanes and flying boats on surveillance duty have reported the same. Alternatively, the Japanese surface strike force may have realized the presence of Washington and North Carolina on our side and chose to avoid a confrontation."

The discovered Japanese surface strike force consisted of two battleships, Nagato and Mutsu, along with four heavy cruisers and destroyers each. On the other hand, the American unit comprises two battleships, Washington and North Carolina, with two Brooklyn-class light cruisers and sixteen destroyers. The battleships are superior in quality, and the destroyers outnumber the enemy. While lagging in cruiser firepower, in terms of overall strength, there is no doubt that the Americans hold a significant advantage.

Moreover, just like them, the Japanese also maintained contact through seaplanes, so their force was likely well-assessed by them. It would be foolish to challenge an unbeatable opponent, so the judgment of the Japanese commander seemed correct, but...

Thinking so, Kinkaid was interrupted by a report from the radar operator, sounding like a scream.

"Radar contact. Bearing 315 degrees, distance 50 miles, approximately 50 planes!"

The moment the voice of the radar operator reached his ears, Kinkaid immediately issued orders without consulting his staff.

"All ships, prepare for anti-air combat! They are probably aiming for a night torpedo attack. The Royal Navy has sunk Italian battleships with this very method. There's no reason why the Japanese can't do the same. The skill shown by those individuals in the Battle of Wake Island was genuine. Even in the night when the accuracy is low, do not let your guard down!"

While giving instructions, Kinkaid gritted his teeth at his own carelessness. Since the opening of the battle between Oahu and the Japanese fleet, the Japanese mobile force had exclusively dispatched Zero fighters, and the Type 1 carrier attack planes had remained completely inactive. This implied they had been saved for this very moment. Or perhaps, even the Japanese surface strike force, including the Nagato and Mutsu, could be a decoy to lure them out. An unpleasant imagination, but Kinkaid couldn't shake the feeling that it might be the correct assessment.

. . .

The 48 Type 1 carrier attack bombers launched from the Yamato, Musashi, Shinano, and Kai were able to reach the airspace above the American fleet without hesitation, guided by the radar signals of the surface planes in contact.

"All aircraft, proceed with the attack according to the prescribed procedure. The primary targets for the first attack squad are the cruisers and destroyers guarding the battleship's outer perimeter. Don't forget that the first attack squad is the breakthrough unit clearing the path for the second and third attack squads," ordered Lieutenant Commander Higai, the leader of the attackers.

Following the commander's orders, the 48 Type 1s dispersed. 16 planes from the first attack squad served to expose the enemy's location through illumination, while the remaining 32 planes constituted the torpedo attack squad, each carrying an aerial torpedo. As the sixteen Type 1s dropped illumination flares one after another, the American fleet responded with intense anti-aircraft fire. Occasionally, lights trailing into the sea indicated unfortunate planes entangled in the enemy's anti-aircraft fire.

Meanwhile, the 32 torpedo-equipped Type 1s were divided into formations of four aircraft each, closing in on their targets, cruisers, and destroyers. In this operation, the Yamato, Musashi, Shinano, and Kai had skilled personnel gathered from other carriers specifically for night torpedo attacks. Considering the constant accidents during daytime takeoffs and landings on carriers, operating aircraft on the vast flight decks of carriers was even more critical during night operations. Therefore, among the 1st Mobile Fleet's twelve carriers, only the four Yamato-class carriers and their aircraft were designated for night attacks.

Even with skilled personnel, the torpedo attacks from the Yamato, Musashi, Shinano, and Kai air groups proved challenging, with only six torpedoes hitting their targets out of the 48 launched. Although less than 20% accuracy, it was considered a decent result for night torpedo attacks. The disruption caused by the sinking of six cruisers and destroyers due to torpedo hits led to disarray in the formation of the American fleet.

At this point, the second attack squad, consisting of another 48 Type 1s, arrived on the battlefield. Their primary target was the battleships. Similar to the first attack squad, 32 Type 1s carried aerial torpedoes to assault the battleships. However, the firepower difference between cruisers, destroyers, and the new battleships was significant. Despite being nighttime, the accurate aim of high-angle guns, machine guns, and anti-aircraft guns on battleships, which were stable platforms, caused multiple Type 1s to be hit. Some planes exploded, while others crashed into the sea near Hawaii. Nevertheless, over 80% of the Type 1s successfully dropped torpedoes, hitting the Washington with two and North Carolina with three torpedoes.

Subsequently, the third attack squad, also consisting of 48 Type 1s, arrived. The 32 torpedo-equipped planes were divided into two groups, targeting the Washington and North Carolina. The movement of the two battleships was slowed by the extraordinary weight of the 1.000-kilogram warheads from two or three torpedoes penetrating their sides. Additionally, the ships were listing due to considerable flooding, making precise shooting difficult. Exploiting the dire situation of the Washington and North Carolina, the 32 Type 1s successively released torpedoes. Unable to perform effective evasive maneuvers, the Washington received four torpedoes, while the North Carolina was hit by an astonishing six torpedoes.

Admiral Kinkaid, having suffered fatal damage on the two battleships and witnessing the sinking of six cruisers and destroyers, issued orders to scuttle the damaged ships and quickly leave the battlefield. Apart from a few engaged in the battle near Oahu, no one in the US Navy criticized his decision.