Chapter 4

Two weeks have passed. The preparations for the wedding have begun.

Reina tries on a wedding dress. It is beautiful. But she hates it.

Larys looks at her from across the room, smiling. Only by seeing him, she wants to break his face, tear that smile from him.

She knows that this is her destiny, she has "accepted her fate". Her mother is not present, she feels sick, for several days.

Reina doesn't know what she has, maybe she just has a cold, she hopes it is nothing serious.

Aegon catches a glimpse of Reina trying on wedding dresses. It makes him curious. He approaches her.

"Lady Reina, I have not had a chance to congratulate you on your betrothal. May I?"

Reina freezes, the sound of his voice scared her, but at the same time she does not dislike it. She looks at him and nods.

Aegon smiles at her and takes her hand, leading her apart from the dressmaker.

"Reina - do you even like Lord Larys? Forgive me if I am too blunt..."

"My feelings on the matter are none of your concern, My Prince. Lord Larys and I have an...agreeable arrangement."

"We all know you lie, Reina." he says, without adressing her as a Lady.

"You know nothing." she says back.

"Reina, I know you did not want this...I know you are hurt and...But you must-" Aegon starts to say but he is interrupted by her.

"I must accept my fate. I have been told this multiple times. I know what I have do to, My Prince." she snaps, venom in her voice.

Aegon cannot help but sense some disappointment in her. Maybe some sadness. He wants to probe more but it wouldn't be appropriate, so he says nothing and pulls away from her hand.

Aegon lets go of her hand and looks her up and down - for the first time noticing what an attractive woman she is. It seems everyone in the room is suddenly very interested in the dressmaker - they are pretending to admire her dresses but really they are focused on something else: Aegon and Reina.

"Will the wedding be soon?" he asks, his voice gentle.

"In a week."

"Do you think you will be happy?"

Aegon stares at Reina, looking for a reaction from the sensitive young woman.

"Why are you asking these questions? We do not even know each other." she says.

The truth is, he does not know why he is asking. He does not know why this particular woman is intriguing him. He looks down at her and sees beauty, he looks into her eyes and sees sorrow. It piques his interest and curiosity.

Aegon is silent for a moment, thinking about what else to say. Finally, he decides to try and engage her.

"You seem unhappy, Lady Reina."

"Do I?" she asks sharply.

"Your face betrays you. You try hard to mask it, Reina, but it is written all over you."

Reina says nothing, and for a moment there is silence. Then, Aegon reaches forward again, feeling compelled to touch her.

"Do you really mean to marry him?" he whispers.

"What?"

"Do you wish to marry Larys?" he asks, whispering.

Silence. She does not say anything, because she does not really have an answer. She can say that she wants to and lie or she can say that she does not and he will tell her to accept her fate, most likely.