Chapter 35

The King groans from the excruciating pain that engulfes his body.

The Queen gets on the bed, giving him milk of the poppy to ease his torment.

"That's it." she whispers as the man sips from the cup.

"Well done." she grabs his hand, running her fingers on his pale and battered skin.

"I am sorry." he breathes out, relaxing sightly from the pain he felt earlier.

"Shh..."

"I am sorry." he repeats, "But you wanted to know, if I believe it to be true."

"Believe what to be true, my King?"

"Don't you remember?" he asks, making her frown at his confusing words.

The Queen believes that the liquid he drinks every night before bed had clouded his mind. Had made him not think straight anymore.

But the name of her son coming from his weak mouth, makes her freeze on the spot.

"Aegon."

"Our son?" she asks, still caressing his hand.

"His Dream." he pants, "The Song of Ice...and Fi-"

"It is true." he finishes, "What he saw in the North."

"The Prince that was Promised."

"I do not understand, Viserys." Alicent shakes her head, getting more confused with each word he murmurs.

"The Prince."

"Prince Aegon?" the woman asks.

"To unite the realm, against the cold and the dark." the King breathes heavily now.

"It is you. You are the one. You must do this."

"You must do this." he whispers again.

Alicent sighs and moves her hand towards his scarred cheek. She caresses it and nods repeatedly.

The woman gets up from the bed and blows into the candle, the fire dying.

"I understand, my King." she nods again and departs from his bed, approaching the doors.

After she leaves, the King starts breathing more heavily. He pleads the gods to take him away, to ease his pain and suffering.

He had not been happy since his love died. Since he killed her.

"No more..." he whispers and a tear rolls down his cheek. He pants and groans and hopes it will be over soon.

He lifts his hand in the air, trying to grab something, but there is nothing to grab there.

His arm falls on the mattress again and he smiles.

"My love." the last words he utters before he gives his last breath, before he leaves the world and the realm to suffer.

He reunites with his first wife, with the only woman her ever loved. With Aemma.

Her face is pale and she looks the same, the same as the day she gave him a son, paying with her life for his.

The man hopes that she will forgive him, that she still loves him.

"My love, Aemma."

•••

Everyone sees death as a punishment, but some people sees death as a way to freedom. Your pure soul leaves your cursed body. Or your cursed soul leaves your pure body.