Chapter 30

The next morning Reina woke up with her head on her husband's bare chest. The sun's rays dancing across his porcelain skin, making him look like an angel, in Reina's eyes.

"You know staring is rude." he says, with a deep voice. Reina laughs and kisses his ribs, making him smile.

"I cannot control myself when I have such a handsome husband." she teases and sits up.

He pulls her back, tugging her by her waist, "It is still early, come back to sleep." Aegon murmurs, burying his face in the pillows.

"We have a long day before us. We must announce your mother that we are expecting another child." she smiles, excited about her pregnancy.

"What do you mean?" he asks, pretending to not remember last night conversation. His brows are furrowed as he looks into her eyes.

Reina freezes, she thinks that he does not remember. Of course he does not...he was drunk after all. Her smile fades away as she watches the confusion written on his face.

He tries hardly not to laugh at her disappointed look. How could he forget the fact that he will have another baby? Another bundle of joy to lighten up his darkest days.

"Aegon..." she says, trying to calm down her anger.

"Do you really think I forgot about you being pregnant?" he asks, making her gasp. She slaps his arm and pulls away from his body.

"Oh...are you mad?" Aegon teases her, pulling her towards her, closer than before.

"I thought you forgot about it. You were drunk. "

"Yes, I was. But I could not forget such an important thing." he replies, kissing her neck softly.

She sighs and wraps her arms around him, never wanting to let go.

"What is wrong?" he whispers, feeling her uneasiness. He rubs her back, in order to make all her worries fade away.

"Your father is getting ill, worse with each day that passes..." Reina says, tightening her grip on him.

"I know. Well...life can be unpredictable sometimes." he sighs, stroking her hair.

"You know what that means?"

"Rhaenyra will be Queen."

"Otto will try to crown you as King." she says, fearing about the old man's plans.

"I do not want that sick throne." he reassures her.

"I am afraid you do not get to choose, Aegon. What if they force you to usurp your own sister?" her question makes his head spin. He shakes the thought away and sighs.

"They will not. I will not accept it. Rhaenyra is the rightful heir, named by father. I will not steal my own sister's right."

"Promise me." she pleads him.

"I promise you, Reina. That title does not interest me nor does suit me." Aegon kisses her nose and hugs her again.

•••

"No way! When did you find out?" Helaena exclaims as she pulls her sister-in-law in a friendly hug. She had been delighted to hear about Reina's pregnancy.

"Yesterday." she replies, "How are the twins?"

"Two months and they are already bigger." she smiles, looking at the sleeping babies. "You have no idea how happy you made me!"

Reina nods and smiles, sitting on the Princess's bed, fiddling with her fingers.

"What is wrong?" Helaena sits next to her, taking her hands in hers.