Chapter 25

Someone catches her hand. Ser Gareth must have heard her scream. She looks up and sees the guard that was standing previously at her door.

He pulls her up and helps her sit on the bed, giving her some water. Her breath is shallow and heavy, tears streaming down her face, not seeming to end. She accepts the glass from his trembling hands.

She tries to drink some, but fails. The cup falls on the hard floor, shattering into multiple pieces, the water spilling all over her dress.

"My Princess...what will you have me do?" Gareth asks, trying to find a way to calm her down.

"Call Aegon...please...." she manages to say through her sobs, gripping her hair.

The guard nods and hurries out of the room. He signals the Queen first and then moves down the corridor towards the Prince's chambers.

"Your wife...she..." Aegon looks up and when he hears the first words leaving his mouth, he knows immediately that something is wrong. That something happened. He walks past him, running towards her old rooms.

When he arrives at her, he sees his mother kneeling next to Reina, wiping away her tears. His wife looks up and her eyes widen. She has not seen him in two weeks and she missed him dearly.

Alicent sits up and nods towards the armoured man, leaving the couple alone.

"What happened-" Aegon is interrupted by Reina's arms wrapping around him.

"I am sorry. I am sorry...I have missed you."

"Reina, you have nothing to apologise for. I have missed you too. Aelon missed you too." he whispers making her cry harder at the mention of their son. She feels horrible for what she tried to do. Thanking about taking away her life is the biggest sin she had ever done.

"I almost died." she whispers, making Aegon tense and pull away looking at her puffy red face.

"What do you mean? Did someone..."

"No. I tried to...I climbed over the railing and thought about...how would it be if I would just die."

When he hears the words she utters, he freezes. His own wife tried to kill herself, he shakes his head, his own eyes filling with tears. "No...you are lying."

Reina shakes her head, "I am sorry."

"Who stopped you?" he asks, fearing the answer he will receive.

"You." she tries to smile, "I thought about you and about Aelon and what will happen to you when I will leave this cursed world. Even if everything would have been easier for me and for many people, I could not leave you alone. You..."

"Me?"

She nods, "I changed my mind, but when I wanted to go back, I slipped. I managed to catch the bar, but I could not resist and I let go." she sobs, "If that guard would not have heard me scream, I would have been..."

"Do not say it. Do not say the word. Please." he pleads her, trying to stop the tears from falling from his violet eyes. He clutches her hand in his, kissing it gently.

"I am sorry..."

He shakes his head, letting her hands go and standing up. He looks at her with pity, sadness and anger.

"Aegon-" she begins to speak, but he holds up a hand, making her shut her mouth. She nods and realises that she had lost him too.

"I need time to..."

"To forgive me."

"To think about it." he corrects her, trying to not fall down next to her and wrap his arms around her small and fragile body.