Chapter 10

Reina and Aegon are seated at a long table surrounded by their closest family members. On Aegon's side, Alicent sits next to him with both Helaena and Aemond, the King sitting in the center of the table. On Reina's side, her brother, Alenor, sits next to her, along with her father.

She feels her brother's gaze upon her and she is filled with uneasiness. Alenor's sudden stare is like a dagger piercing through Reina's heart. She does not trust him anymore. She still loves him as a brother but she has seen the change in him, she has seen the anger and hatred inside him. She knows that her own brother views as a rival now, instead of a sibling.

She feels a gentle tap on her shoulder and when she looks up, she meets the eyes of Jacaerys Velaryon, the Dragonstone's prince.

She looks at the young man with a hint of suspicion, wondering what he wants. But she decides to be open towards him, not wanting to ruin the atmosphere of the evening.

"Would you do me the honour of dancing with you, my lady?" he asks, sightly nervous.

Reina is surprised by his unexpected invitation. She stares at him for a moment, weighing her options. She looks around the table and sees Aegon, her new husband, watching her with a subtle frown. She considers not going, but she ultimately decides to accept the invitation and go dance with Jace.

"I would be delighted," she says with a smile, taking his hand.

The prince leads her away from the table and out into the center of the dance floor. As they begin to dance, Reina feels herself becoming more at ease. The gentle rhythm of the music and the prince's kind demeanor are contagious and she finds herself enjoying the dance.

The gentle sway of her dress, the soft laughter and grins of those around her, the cheerful mood, the warmth of the young prince's touch. Everything feels perfect and right, everything feels just as it should. She lets herself go, she allows herself to be lost in the joy and the bliss of the moment, not thinking about anything else.

Reina's spell of joy and blissful peace is unexpectedly and rudely interrupted. The moment she was enjoying so much has come to an end. She turns around to see her brother, Alenor, approaching them with a grim and stern expression on his face.

"Forgive me for interrupting the dance, Your Grace." he addresses the prince. "Can I talk a moment with you, sister?" he turns to look at his younger sibling.

With an expression of resignation on her face she nods at him and turns to Jace.

"I am sorry," she says, "I will return in a few moments. I must talk to my brother."

The young prince nods politely at her and smiles. He knows this conversation might take longer than expected and he tries to show his understanding with a smile. He turns around and leaves the two of them alone, and then Reina turns to face her older brother.

"What do you need?" she asks him, looking into his deep green eyes.

"It is time we have a little chat, dear sister." Alenor's voice is filled with a deep malice and anger. There is no love or compassion or even affection for her in his gaze. She knows that this is not going to be a pleasant conversation, and she braces herself for what's coming next.

"Can't it wait?"

"No, it cannot," Alenor answers sharply. It is clear that he is not going to wait, no matter how much she pleads.

"Fine. Tell me what you have to say." she says and he takes her hand, dragging her into a more quiet corner.

The mood changes instantly, becoming dark and grim. Alenor's grip on her hand tightens.