Chapter 17

As she walks towards the throne room, where the wedding is being held, she comes face to face with her former betrothed, Larys Strong. She puts a hand over her round belly, which had gotten pretty big in the last six months.

"Lady Reina, we haven't had the occasion to talk after our...well, failed betrothal." he says, walking side-by-side with her. His eyes were watching the way her arm was around her swell, protectively.

Reina didn't respond, wanting to escape the situation as soon as she could. Her eyes searched every corner of the hall, hoping to find someone who could help her avoid the unpleasant conversation.

"How many moons until you deliver your baby?" Larys asks again, expecting an answer this time.

"I do not see why my pregnancy concern you, in any way." she answers, not looking at the way his eyes were glaring at her.

"I was just curious, my lady. You were very important to me, at some point." he says, faking a smile.

"I doubt that." she smiles at him.

"You should not. Such a pity we didn't get to know each other better." his arm touches hers, making her pull away instantly.

"I am sure my husband would not like your strange proximity." she snaps, seeing the smirk he has on his face.

"I am sure he will not find out." he says, touching her belly this time. "Such a shame it is not mine."

"Keep your hands off my wife. I do not wish to ruin my siblings wedding." Larys seems shocked when he hears Aegon's voice. He pulls his hand away from her in an instant.

"I didn't think it would disturb her. She means very much to me." he smiles, putting his hand behind his back.

"I assure you, she does not wish to be touched by you in any way whatsoever." Aegon says with a harsh tone, pulling Reina close to him.

"Does she not?" Larys asks innocently.

His eye twitches as he stares at Larys, his words being laced with a tone of warning.

"She does not, and if you touch her again, you will regret it, I promise you that."

"I was only asking her how her pregnancy is going. She looks quite pale." he ignores Aegon's threat, changing the subject.

"You were not that concerned when you beat me up on the day my mother died, were you Lord Strong?" Reina's voice is loud and her tone is harsh, looking straight into the man's eyes.

This catches Larys by surprise, as he did not expect to be confronted by her in this way. She is a quiet and timid person, or at least that is what he believes, and seeing the fire in her eyes, he does not know how to react.

"My apologies, my lady. It was a wrong thing to do and I deeply regret my actions. I know you do too, I expected some apologies from you, after you stabbed me in my neck with a damn crock." Larys answers, smirking sightly.

She does not fall for this act and she realizes that he is trying to bait her.

"You can try to taunt me all you want, but it will make no difference. Your actions have already proven what kind of a man you are."

"I see that you have changed, my lady. You are not the little girl I once bought from her father." Larys says, trying to remind her the worst moments of her life.

Her face becomes flushed and she feels her whole body grow hot with a mixture of anger and shame. Her hands tightly grip the front of her green dress when she hears his words. She is unable to come up with a response and it is obvious how painful this is for her. Her body shakes a little from the rage and hurt she feels at this moment and she feels the tears falling down her cheeks. It pains her deeply to be reminded of that moment.