Chapter 32

six months later

Rhaenyra had arrived in King's Landing.

"All hail Rhaenyra of House Targaryen, Princess of Dragonstone and heir to the Iron Throne and her royal consort, Prince Daemon Targaryen." a guard yells as the Princess steps out of her carriage.

Her belly is little, but can be easily seen. Proof that she carries another child in her womb. She looks around, at her surroundings.

"Welcome back, Princess..." a Lord grabs her hand and squeezes them.

"Lord Caswell..." she whispers, looking confused at him.

•••

"You are to affirm your position for Lucerys," Reina hears Daemon's voice coming from the King's chambers. Viserys is ill, on the verge of dying. The right part of his face is bandaged almost all the time, his right eye missing, "to be Corlys Velaryon's successor." Daemon continues.

"Has something happened to Lord Corlys?" she hears her father-in-law weak voice.

"Father..." Rhaenyra's voice is sweet and gentle. Reina does not wish to eavesdrop anymore, but she cannot move away from the door either. "there is someone we wish to introduce you to."

"Daemon." Viserys sighs at which Daemons responds with a single word, "Brother."

Reina admires the relationship between them and she wishes that her brother and her could have had such a strong bond like the Targaryen men.

"Who is that?" the King asks and Reina can hear sounds coming from the children. She assumes his daughter is showing him his grandchildren.

"Father...this is Aegon." she hears the Princess speak.

"Aegon."

"And this...is Viserys." she continues.

"Ah...Viserys. Now that is a name fit for a king." her father laughs and Reina decided that she had listened enough to their conversation.

She turns around, walking away from the King's chambers. The sounds of the babies crying can be heard from the other side of the Keep, but she ignores them.

•••

"So...his sweet daughter is here. 'His only child.'" Aegon speaks with venom in his voice.

"Aegon...it is not her fault." Reina says, feeling bad for the Princess, knowing that the fault belongs to the King.

"Oh, I know. But I cannot stand the sight of her." he hisses, sipping angrily from his cup.

"I like her." she confesses, smiling.

"Do you?" he turns to look at her.

"She is a good woman. I admire her."

"Would you bend the knee in front of her?" he suddenly asks, making Reina frown.

"What do you mean?"

"Would you?"

"Aegon, she is the heir. Of course I will, she will be our Queen in no time." Reina nods.

"What if she will not?" Aegon asks, amused by the whole conversation.

"Aegon, you promised."

"I know I did and I want to keep my promise." the Prince sighs, drinking again from his wine goblet.

The lightning illuminates the whole sky. Reina had always hated storms, it brought her uneasiness and fear. And she was always agitated when the sound of thunders reached her ears.