Chapter 24

"Quiet, everyone!" the King silenced the whole council table when he slammed his hand on the wood. "I will decide the fate of my daughter-in-law, and only me."

Alicent nods at her husband's words and feels relief washing over her. She does not understand why Reina would do such thing. The Queen has to admit, the girl had gone to far, but she cannot let her to suffer and she will not bear to see her own son in pain.

"That woman is a maniac! How could she murder her own kin? Kinslayer!" the maesters of ships yells, sitting up.

"Tyland..." Viserys sighs, "Stop calling her names before I will have you hanged outside the Keep walls." he warns him and the Lannister sits down once again.

"What will we do, Your Grace?" Otto speaks up, trying to calm down the King.

"I do not know, Otto. I really do not know."

"She is locked up in her bedchambers until her trial." the Hand says.

"Trial?" Alicent asks, looking up from the table.

"What kind of trial?" Lord Wylde asks, looking curiously at every each of them.

"My dear, what she did cannot go unnoticed. Not only that she stole a dragon, but she burned down her former home, along with her brother and father." Otto explains the situation to his daughter.

"Viserys, please. You cannot be serious." the red-haired woman pleads.

"I will do what I must, Alicent. The realm will not like the idea of not giving her a punishment. Even if it is the smallest one." the Kind says with a sad expression on his face.

She stands up and leaves the room, baffled. She wipes away a tear that threatens to fall from her eye and goes towards her son's chambers. The woman knocks softly on the door, waiting for Aegon to open it.

"Mother." he nods and allows her to step in. His eyes are red from crying and for the lack of sleep. He had found himself to not being to sleep properly without his Reina by his side. His hair is a mess and the dark circles that rest under his violet eyes make him look sightly older.

"My dear..." Alicent hugs him, closing the door after she enters the room, "Have you talked with her?"

"Not since the night she came back. Grandsire put a new guard to her door who will not let anyone pass. She had not seen her son, I have not seen her for weeks." he says, starting to tear up again.

"A new guard? He kept her locked up this whole time?" she utters, feeling angry at her father's actions.

"Yes, Ser Gareth, I believe his name was."

Aegon sits on the bed and grabs her pillow, hugging it close to his body, "I miss her."

"I know you do, dearest. But it will be over soon." Alicent pulls her son into a warm hug, hoping her motherly-affection will sooth his pain.

"I do not want to lose her. I know she did something bad, worse than I have ever imagined she will do, but she does not deserve to die..." he sobs uncontrollably, tightening his grip on his mother.

Alicent strokes his hair, trying to hold back her own tears. She feels bad for her children, she knows her father will not let this go, not that easy.

"I will do everything I can to save her." she reassures him, resting her cheek against his head.

"Thank you, mother." he whispers, pulling away from her body, trying to smile.

•••

"My Lord," Jason Lannister nods towards the Hand. "What have you decided?"