Chapter 31

Aegon had been miserable for the past two days, Reina had slept in Aelon's room while he drank and drank every chance he got.

His mother had tried multiple times to talk to him, to get him to tell her what happened after the trial. He is ashamed for what he did, how he reacted. He could never hurt Reina, no matter what.

The look of fear on her face haunts him. He closes his eyes and sees her teary eyes staring at him.

This morning, when he wakes up, he decides that it is the moment to talk to her, to apologise. He cannot bear to go another day without her. Without seeing her beautiful smile and hearing her laugh.

He combs his hair, straightening his outfit. He looks at his reflection and sees the dark circles from under his eyes. It seems that his drinking problem came back. It helps him forget, forget about Larys and how he got away, unpunished for hurting Reina. Forget about his father and the way he seems to only think about Rhaenyra.

He got stabbed and he could not care less. He got stabbed and in the end he almost congratulated Larys for doing it.

The only person he talked with was Aemond. His brother was the only one allowed to enter his chambers, apart from Reina. Who had not visited him.

Aegon realises that she was scared that day and his heart hurts knowing that she was scared of him.

He hears a knock on his door and he groans. He takes hesitant steps towards it, not wanting to face his mother's annoyed face.

"Yes, mother-" he looks up and he sees her standing in front of him. With her red hair in a bun and her body covered into an expensive golden silk.

"Reina." Aegon nods and tries to not fall to his knees in front of her and beg for her to forgive him, to swear that he will never hurt her. That he could never hurt her.

She smiles and takes a step inside, waiting for him to shut the door.

He sighs and his mouth cannot form any coherent words, his mind is filled with ways to apologise.

"How are you?" she breaks the silence.

"Me?" he looks up, feeling like an idiot.

Reina nods and waits for his answer, hoping she will receive one.

"I feel...miserable." he admits and laughs.

The woman looks at him with a sad look.

"You?" he continues, playing with his ring. He looks at her hand and notices the gold jewel still at its place. On her index finger.

"Why do you feel miserable?" Reina ignores his question.

"Because I am miserable." the man chuckles and tries to not break down in tears. He is weak, she had seen him cry multiple times.

She nods and sits down on the bed, seeing the room tidied up, probably by a maid.

"Are you afraid of me?" he finally asks, looking at her face. Her beautiful face.

"I am not." she quickly replies, but Aegon does not seem convinced by her answer.

"I want to apologise. For the way I acted and for scaring you. And I want you to come back, to me." he says.

"I am here, Aegon." she smiles and pats the space next to her, signalling him to sit down.

He listens to her and sits on the mattress, keeping a distance between their bodies, afraid to not scare her away. Again.

"Please...you know I could never hurt you." Aegon breathes out and touches her hand.

"I know, Aegon. You were angry, I understand. I am not mad nor scared."