Chapter 6

The funeral and the following events made the queen think. Ever since they returned to King's Landing she had been thinking about Reina's life and how it would be like.

If she said she didn't see herself in the young girl, she would be lying. She was once in her situation, forced to marry a man twice her age, with the same duty to fufill. To give him heirs.

She kept thinking of a way she could save Reina from the marriage that was coming in a few days. But nothing came to mind.

She and the King both feel some grief for the young girl, whose hopes for love and for a family, have so far been denied her.

The King takes a long sip of his wine and speaks softly, “Perhaps, I can find another eligible Lord to wed her to…”

Aegon isn’t listening to the conversation. He is focused on his cups, and on drinking another glass of ale, as he sips quickly and then refills his goblet.

"You know her father won't change his mind." Alicent says.

“No.” The King says flatly. “You’re right. I just feel sorry for the girl.” he takes another sip and watches as Aegon drinks more deeply.

“Now, we need to solve the issue of you, Aegon. You have seen many Lords and Ladys across the Seven Kingdoms, it is time for you to find a wife…”

Alicent eyes sparkles and she gets lost in her thoughts. Maybe he will be the better match for Reina. Maybe there is truly a way to save her from Larys.

Alicent looks at Aegon and thinks deeply about the possibility. Is Aegon a good match for Reina? Could this work? Could this get Reina out of the clutches of Larys?

"Do you like Reina?" Alicent asks her son.

Aegon listens as his mother speaks. Her question catches him off guard, and he raises his head from his goblet. He looks at Alicent, and his face shows his confusion.

Finally he speaks. “What did you say?”

"Do you like Reina?" she repeats the question, more firmly this time.

Aegon’s head is swimming from the alcohol, and his mind is focused on his own thoughts, which are mostly filled with wine.

He looks at his mother, confused. “What are you trying to say, mother?”

"Just answer, Aegon." she says, trying to get an answer out of him.

“I don’t know,” he responds, “I have never thought about it…”

He takes another long sip from his filled goblet, and he looks back down. "Do you think she would be a good match for me?”

"I don't know. Perhaps. Maybe you would be a better match for her than she has now." she answers.

“Perhaps?” Aegon looks up, a confused look on his face.

He is not so sure about this idea as his mother is. He looks over at her.

“Maybe you are right, maybe I would be a better match for her,” he says slowly, “but why would you suggest this? This is all so sudden.”

"I'm trying to find a way to save her."

“You really think I can save her?” Aegon asks honestly. This whole notion has caught him off guard. He is used to his mother being the sensible one…the one who makes decisions.

“Do you really think we can save her? Save her from Larys…”

"It may be a way." the Queen speaks confidently.