Chapter 27

Blood pooled around him as he watches Aemond take the knife from Larys. He watches with glassy eyes. He was dying. He felt himself slipping away, his grasp on life becoming fainter as each labored breath left his body. He glanced at Reina and the baby. His heart ached knowing how much he will miss them.

"Aegon...please." Reina whispered, cupping his face with her hands.

He reached out and touched her face with a soft, loving hand. His voice is strained as he tried to speak. He wanted to tell her he loves her, that he tried to be the husband she deserves. But the air was escaping his lungs with each breath.

He was fading, falling into the darkness.
"Call a maester...please." Reina looked up at Aemond, pleading him.

His vision darkened, his thoughts scattered. He was losing his grip on reality. His breathing became shallow as he began to slip away. He felt a rush of dizziness, and the room began to spin. He stared up at her and managed a tiny smile. His lips moved to form her name, but no sound came out. Instead there was only silence, his heart slowing as life slipped away.

"Stay with me...Aegon...stay with-" his wife sobbed, clutching his hand in hers.

His eyes started to close, the darkness pulling him under. His breathing grew more shallow. He heard her voice, but it no longer had any meaning. His vision darkened, and his mind was filled with her face. Her beautiful face. He was desperate to stay, but his body betrayed him.

He felt someone taking him in their arms, lifting him up from the cold ground.

The last thing he saw before falling into unconsciousness was Reina holding their son at her chest.

A wave of warmth washed over him when he saw them together. He felt a sense of peace. He knew he is safe with her. He knows that she will take care of his son, his little boy. His body went limp, his breathing shallowed even more, and he closed his eyes. His final thought was that he loves her...and he loves his baby boy. He was content in his final moments...and then he went still.

•••

Aegon woke up moments ago. His voice is weak and his stomach wound hurts like hell. He tries to sit up, but the pain that shoot up in his abdomen made him fall back down into the mattress.

Ser Arryk entered the room rapidly, upon hearing sounds from it. His face lights up as he bows in front of his Prince.

The Targaryen man waved at him and looked around, "How is Reina?" he manages to say, ignoring the pain.

"The Princess is well, she stayed by your side all the time, leaving today at the Queen's orders." the guard replies.

Aegon looks out the window and sees the moon shining through the curtains. "What hour is it?"

"Past the Hour of the Owl, my Prince."

"Is she asleep?" the younger man asks, hoping to receive an negative answer.

"I do not know."

"Please, go and tell her to come to me." he pleads him, and groans as another wave of pain washes over him.

The guard nods and quickly made his way towards Reina's chambers.

Aegon is lost in his own thoughts, his eyes are fixed on the ceiling. He could not apologise, he remembers. He did not get the chance to.

•••

Reina was practically running towards Aegon's rooms, with Ser Arryk after her. Her heart is beating rapidly as her feet carries her to his doors.