21

❃𝙺𝚒𝚊𝚛𝚊❃

I don't peek into my past all that often. It seems pointless half the time, to be honest. Also, sometimes those memories hurt.

But hey. I've already met one guy from my past, what's another one? The last one turned out to be pretty great, this one can't possibly turn out that bad. Worst case scenario, we realize we're not for each other anymore and go our different ways. Again. It wouldn't be that terrible of an outcome. Either way, I will have my closure that I've secretly been aching for.

I try to hang onto that ideology on the way to the café he told me to meet him at. And I mull it over while we make a pit stop at Noah's. He's already standing outside, waiting right there on the sidewalk for us to drive up to him. I catch his growing smile as I pull up right beside him on the curb.

He smiles at me through the passenger window before he moves over to the backseat to open the door. "Dad!" Cameron shouts, ecstatic as he unbuckles himself and lifts his arms up.

"Nut!" Noah mocks, just like he always does. He reaches in to scoop Cameron up in his arms—something Cameron already expects. They're both going to be in for a rude awakening when he gets a little too old for that. "Hey, Kiara." He ducks down some to greet me properly too.

I smile. "Hi."

Noah reaches further in with Cameron supported against his own body and arm to grab Cameron's backpack. "Okay, do we have everything?" He hums, still ducking to see me.

I roll down the passenger window to make it easier. He tosses the back door shut and moves over to duck to look into the window. He leans down to let Cameron down onto the ground which Cameron seems a little annoyed by. "He's got his tablet in there." I warn with a nod towards the backpack Noah absently slings over his shoulder.

Noah nods. "An hour after dinner—nothing more." He agrees, having already been told about screen time.

"If you insist on being the fun dad, no more than thirty extra minutes."

He laughs at that. Probably because he knows I know he'd have let Cameron have a few extra minutes if Cameron begged and pleaded for it. "Understood." He acknowledges with slight seriousness hidden under his playful tone. He knows I mean it.

I smile. "Thank you." I hum. He gives a thumbs up before he leans down to pick Cameron back up. "Bye, Cam. I love you, and I'll see you tomorrow morning, okay?"

"Bye." He simply waves at me, already excited to spend his first night at his dad's house. He got to go to his first sleepover to his friend's place, but for some reason we haven't done Noah's.

"Cameron," Noah whispers as he nudges him a little.

Cameron suddenly grins really widely. So widely, that it's not totally sincere. I watch him with a small, dry smile. "I love you, Mommy!" He shouts too loudly, totally unafraid to yell about how much he loves his mommy in public. I seem to have more shame than he does.

Noah grins proudly at him though, so I start wondering if that's where he gets it from. The overwhelming theatrics. He was practically born with it, and Noah makes those same faces sometimes. He grasps at his heart and shouts as loud as he can just for a little bit of a laugh. They both like it, making people smile.