55

❃𝙺𝚒𝚊𝚛𝚊❃

There are still things I can't wrap my head around. Things that need to be talked about, but I don't think anyone actually wants to sit down and talk about it.

Cameron's issues at school are dwindling, but there are still issues like blurting things out in the middle of class. My mother hates my...guy I'm seeing, and I don't really know how to fix that. But I need to because Guy I'm Seeing would like me to stand up for him the way he does—rightfully so, right?

Guy I'm Seeing would also like me to open up more. I mean, he hasn't specifically said it, but he would. He's already opened up to me a bunch with all the things I know about him like most of his thoughts, his feelings, his depressing childhood of being parentified by the ripe age of five...

There is one thing he doesn't go into detail about. Arguably one of the biggest events of his life, and he hardly ever mentions it. Not to me, anyway.

Maybe it's because of how nervous I get at the mention of alcohol, but I thought I was...I don't know. Maybe getting a little better. I've taught myself to trust him. He's never given me any kind of reason to be afraid of him or his choices.

Or maybe it's just that sensitive of a subject for him. It's entirely possible that it is, so I just haven't had the heart to bring it up. There are other things we talk about. Less serious things. Like how his day was. The drama in my office right now. How Cam's doing with the girlfriend he refuses to admit he has.

We're just having too much fun, I think. I'm afraid to ruin that. I mean, right now, he kisses me and he hugs my body close to his. He shares his warmth. Coffee and eggs are ready in the morning when he has a sleepover at our house—whether he's in the room with me or on the air mattress in the living room with Cameron. He likes to play with us too. Not just stupid boardgames, but fun little games he makes up with on the fly. Mostly just teasing us. He loves to tease us.

He used to love teasing my mom too. It's his love language, I think. And she shot it down with teasing him without any playfulness in his tone.

"Mom," I begin quietly as I cautiously approach the couch beside her, taking my chance to talk while Cameron's in the other room sat at the table eating. "We need to talk."

She sighs. "If it's about that man, I don't want to hear it. You know I don't want to hear about him."

"That man has a name, and you know it."

She almost looks caught off guard, but she looks at me and relents. "I don't want to hear about Noah, Kiara." She dismisses.

"Fine." I agree. "I won't tell you things about him, but we still need to talk about this."

"We don't."

"You need to be nicer." I get to the point before I lose her. She watches me like I just grew a second head. I continue quickly. "You realize you're hurting his feelings, right?"

"Oh, God." She scoffs. "His feelings? Has his age suddenly regressed to match your child's?"

I frown. "Mom." I scold. She shakes her head as she looks away. "Look, he's Cameron's dad. That's exactly what you wanted Wyatt to be." I reason. "What more do you want from me? I'm dating your grandson's father, Mom. How does that not make you happy?"