❃𝙺𝚒𝚊𝚛𝚊❃

I don't get it. I really don't.

She says she wants only the best for me. That she'll always support me—no matter what. That's what she's told me. During the latest hours of the night when I was little, she'd cup my face in her hands with a sad little smile, sat down on the cold bathroom floor.

She told me she loved me during those late nights. Told me she'd always love me, and she would always be there for me. It was rare for her to make a heartfelt promise like that, but I always believed her.

Until now.

She loves me and she always supports me, but she's mean to my son's dad—the guy I'm dating. For no reason too. He hasn't done anything to her. He's polite with her, albeit playful about his approach. He's the first one to offer to take her to and from either our house, some place we're meeting up, and even the doctor's office when he knows he can. And yet, she doesn't even want to sit in the front seat beside him in the car.

He tried so hard tonight. He tried to be nice, and I could see him trying to understand her every time she said or hinted at something. He kept quiet all night when my mom made it obvious she didn't want to hear anything from him. It was the hardest thing I've ever had to watch, and I know it's taken a bit of a toll on him by the time dinner's over.

He's quieter. Smiles when one of the kids looks excitedly up at him, but that's about it. He doesn't look like he really wants to be here anymore, and I don't blame him. I'd like to tell him it's over now, but I can't do that just yet. We still have to take my mom home too then has to drop Cam and I back at home.

I rest my hand briefly on his back while we stand outside the restaurant, sharing goodbyes with Aaliyah and Alex. For now, Cameron and Elaina run around us to play for a little longer before we part ways. During my goodbye with Aaliyah though, the energy between us shifts some.

While Noah is preoccupied trying to get a hold of the two kids with the help of Alex, Aaliyah pulls me aside some along with the stroller containing a sleeping baby. "This was, um...nice." Her smile looks a little forced.

I grimace. "I don't know what's going on between them." I admit, already aware of why she's forcing that smile.

She drops it with a sigh, letting herself frown at me. "I don't know either." She agrees. "But I know my brother." She spares a look his way briefly before looking back at me. "Whatever it is, it's not fair." She decides, voice quiet but chin held up high. "I'm sorry. But whatever's going on over there isn't his fault." She adds. It's almost like she's afraid to say it but has to. "And it's hurting his feelings."

I frown at that, letting my eyes drift over to him. "Yeah?" I whisper as I watch him. I knew this has taken a toll on him, but Noah's the kind of guy who's got thick skin. He takes a lot and somehow manages to laugh it all off. Maybe I'm wrong about that though. There are so many more new things I'm learning about him now that he has his guard down almost all the time.

"Yeah." She confirms quietly. "You should probably..."

I shake my head softly. "What?" I coax. She looks down at her sleeping baby and shifts uncomfortably on her feet. "Please tell me." I plead. "Promise I won't be mad."

She sighs her defeat at that. "You should talk to him about it." She suggests. "He's not going to bring it up on his own. You should do it and maybe...I don't know. Figure out what's going on between them. Help him. He's not going to help himself."