✧𝙽𝚘𝚊𝚑✧

I like Kiara—I really do. But sometimes...God. Sometimes I really just don't understand the woman.

It's her Mom's birthday, and we're off to celebrate that at dinner. But a couple of days ago, Kiara sat with me and admitted she was thinking of inviting my family to the dinner. Why, I still don't understand even though she explained it.

She said she felt bad it was going to only be the four of us at the table. Said that, since we've been on a couple of dates and things are running smoothly, our relationship would blossom into something more than a co-parent/friendly thing. Meaning, our families would merge even more than they already are.

So...she wanted to invite my parents and my sister to the dinner. Because...I don't know. Fuckin' family.

We settled. We invited just my sister and her family, leaving mine out of it since Margret and my family haven't really gotten to know each other great anyway.

Her mom didn't want the dinner to begin with, so she waved Kiara off when she asked if it was okay to invite other people to the table. She truly didn't give a shit about it. We could've gotten away with it just being the four of us, but Kiara insisted. And, apparently, neither of us have the heart to argue with her.

At least I got out of inviting my parents and it's just my sister and her family—I can live with that just fine. They're not going to make the dinner awkward by asking Margret some stupid ass question about whatever shit comes to mind.

It's a very small battle won in the long run though. There are still many bumps in the road from here.

First one comes before I've even finished picking Margret up. When Kiara and Cameron got in my car, Kiara got in the backseat since she knew we'd be going straight to her mom's to pick her up. I tried arguing, but she ended that when she decided firmly that it was respectful. So, I sucked it up and did the polite thing when we pulled up on the sidewalk of Margret's building. I got out of the car and opened the passenger side door for her.

She refused to get in.

Like, actually refused. Wouldn't look at me and stood there until Kiara ultimately got out of the fucking car to let her sit in the back with Cameron who was looking on in confusion. Margret assured him it was because she wanted to sit with him, but I have my doubts.

Whatever though, right? She's an old bitter lady—Kiara's words, not mine—and it's her birthday. I let it go with ease because I wanted Kiara in the passenger seat anyway. No big deal at all.

I told myself I couldn't give a shit that she hardly spoke to me at all even when I told her happy birthday in the car, but that was a lie. At least it became a lie when we got to the restaurant and met the other half of our party outside.

Margret smiled all politely and sweetly at my sister when she was properly introduced. That's fine. Whatever, she's her daughter's best friend and she's probably heard a lot about her.

But then they introduce her to Alex. That asshole. My eyes narrow when she happily gives him a hug and a smile, beaming up at him as if he's the greatest man to have ever lived. She tells him he looks just like a younger version of some famously hot actor or whatever from her time.