Chapter 1 - One Band and Two Birthdays

July 16, 2013

"Olivia!!" My mum yelled, trying to get me to come downstairs on the morning of my seventeenth birthday.

"Yeah mum?" I yelled back as I ran down the stairs.

"Happy birthday," she smiled, handing me a plate with two pancakes on it.

"Thanks.." I cracked a small smile before grabbing the pancakes off the plate and running back into my room, taking a few bites of the pancakes here and there.

I texted my best friend to see if we were still going to the mall tonight before running downstairs with my book bag hanging on my shoulder.

I finished the last bite of my pancake before kissing my parents goodbye. I ran into the garage and stuck my hand in my book bag to find my keys. Once I found them stuck in one of my folders, I hopped into my car, opened the garage door, and took off for school.

As I approached the school parking lot, I noticed that my friend Nikki's car wasn't there. Maybe she was running late?

I walked into the school and went straight to my locker, then to home room in Mrs. Orta's classroom.

Nikki didn't arrive in class until one minute before the late bell rung. I was worried she was going to be late, but she got there just in time.

"Hey girl.. Happy birthday!" She exclaimed, sitting next to me.

"Why were you almost late? You're never even close to late!!" I wondered. She is always in the classroom about five minutes early.

"It was my brother. He was refusing to get ready this morning for some reason. You never know with boys, or any siblings.. You wouldn't know, though. You're an only child.." She explained.

She's always bugging me about being an only child. She tells me how terrible it is to have a younger brother. Boys, especially when they're your sibling, are really annoying, at least she says.

"Oh.. Sorry."

"Well, while I was waiting for him to get ready, I was looking online and saw about this band that's on tour with One Direction. It was saying about the lead singer's birthday being today.."

"Cool! We have the same birthday!"

"He's seventeen today."

"Really? Wait.. What's his name?"

"Luke, um, Hemmings? I think it's Hemmings."

"Hmm.. Sounds sort of familiar."

"Really?"

"Yeah. I think my mum was saying something about a Hemmings. Maybe Lynn Hemmings? I'm not sure," I remembered my mum talking about a Hemmings.

"Oh. Hmm. They might be related. Wait.. His mum's name was Liz Hemmings. Would that have been her?"

"Yeah! But why would my mum be talking about a band member's mum?"

"I don't know, how about when I come over this afternoon, we can ask her?"

"Yeah. I want to know what she was saying about.."

"Me too," she said quietly for some odd reason.

"Another weird thing is, well, here's a picture of him," she turned her phone towards me with a picture of Luke in there.

"Oh my god.. Blonde hair, beautiful blue eyes, just like me.."

"I know.. Plus, you guys' noses look the same. It's super creepy."

I then nodded as Mrs. Orta took roll.

"Olivia Murphy!!" Mrs. Orta yelled out.

"Here!" I yelled back.

She had called a few others before calling, "Jason Peters!!"

"Living," he replied, sitting in the back.

"Nikki Patterson!!" She continued.

"Dying.." Nikki muttered and leaned back in her chair.

"Okay then.." Mrs. Orta rolled her eyes at the "rebel" that was sitting in front of her. Sometimes Nikki could be like a rebel, when other times, she's a smartie, then other times she's sensitive and caring. She was many things, which is why she's my best friend.

------

Right after school, Nikki got into my car with me and told me, "I'm coming home with you, but you need to bring me back here to get my car before I go home, okay?"

"Got it," I promised.

We drove about five minutes until we got to my house. I walked in and sat my book bag on the counter while Nikki came in behind me yelling, "IM HOME!!" like this is her house.

My parents walked downstairs to greet us. Nikki smiled at them, and, being the weird person she is, she said to them, "hey mum. Hey dad."

"Hello Nikki. And you know you're not our daughter, right?" My dad asked.

"I know. I'm here more than I'm at home, though.." Nikki responded.

"Yeah, that is true.." Mum admitted.

"Anyways, mum.. I have a question to ask you," I began.

"Okay, sweetie, what is it?" She was curious.

"I was wondering what you were saying about a Liz Hemmings one time. I heard you talking about her once. I wondered why."

"Wait- how do you know about her?" Her eyes grew wide in surprise.

"That is Luke Hemmings' mum. He is in a band that's going on tour with One Direction, and his birthday is today. Plus, he has the same eyes, same nose, and same hair color as me," I explained.

She was hiding something!! Her face showed clearly that she was hiding something. I didn't know what, though.. I would pry it out of her no matter what..

~

Add me on snapchat! @irwinxx5sos