Chapter 56

ANNY

It has been a month since I saw him let alone speak to him. We had a wonderful night that day. For a moment I thought we belong together. But when I opened my eyes that morning, I knew that it was just my wishful thinking. He wasn't beside me in bed.

That day I didn't bother to do my morning routine, I just wanted to be gone and away from all this. I took my leave after finally deciding to sign the contract of termination.

A breach of contract would cost me more but since we haven't gotten married, hence merely escaping through a hole of a needle. Days went by smoothly as relaxed to the comfort of my home.

Time to time, I felt bad for being unreasonable to the extent of terminating our contract. I mean I was okay being as his fake wife since I had already developed feelings for him. That wasn't a problem, as long as I was by his side, I was contented.

Here I was all alone in this cozy home of mine. Nick has been busy since I wasn't there to help him. He say the gang needs an heir but Jake has been postponing saying he wasn't ready for that. Many have questioned his leadership thus making him more dangerous.

Over the past three months, Nick tells me he has killed a lot of people. Instead his subordinates pleading loyalty to him they are more afraid of him.

Me on the other hand, I do blame myself for pushing him away. I missed him so much. I had no one to talk to about my feelings. It was more like hating myself for all the decisions I made. Finally I decided to get a job and live my life.

It was on a fateful Saturday morning. I had a bad gut feeling but those were just instinct. I headed to the mall to get few stuffs and some groceries. On my way home I had an instinct something awful was about to happen. Coming to think about it, I kind of made some suspicious people following me in the mall thus I hurried back home.

Suddenly a car from nowhere came. It got me in shock when I saw it. The next thing I know is seeing a pool of blood before I fell unconscious.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

I woke up to the sound of machine beeping and my nostrils had that conquer smell of antiseptic. I tried opening my eyes several times. Managing the room was pure white. I watched as the fan rotated at the ceiling. My eyes roamed the room to where the machine was then to my side.

Making out a figure was so hard for me but it took me a while to know who it was. Once I clicked to the identity of the person, I was confused.I thought he didn't care. How was he even here?

Gently I stroked his hair while watching him sleep. He looked so bad. Seemed he was overwhelmed with work. He slightly shifted. I got scared and pulled my hand away from his hair. Suddenly he grabbed my hand and placed it back on his hair. I knew then he loved my touches even though he strongly objects every time I questioned him.

"Don't ever scare me like that!" he warned coming closer still holding my hand thus intertwining our fingers.

Soon the doctor came in. The two talked for couple of minutes then the doctor took his leave. Suddenly some of Jake's guys came in. One of them, he had a laptop to his possession.

"Ace, we have found the guy." He spoke giving Jake the laptop.

There it was the video of me being hit by a car. Watching it made me shiver a bit while I became scared. Seeing my body lying on the road lifeless wasn't a pleasing one. My eyes turned away from the screen while I felt them becoming watery.

"It's okay." He spoke while gently caressing the back of my hand.

"Where is he?" Jake asked in a serious tone.