Chapter 16: Detention

18th January, 2023

"This is my first detention. All thanks to you." Taehyun was angry as we strode to McGonagall's office for detention. "First detention?" I snorted. "Such a nerd!"

"That too because of you!" Taehyun complained. "I never asked you to help me out. You got into this mess yourself." I reasoned. "Besides, being in detention with me seems as a flex, as a once in a lifetime opportunity." I teased him.

"People are right when they say that too much kindness might lead to trouble." Taehyun seemed like he was talking to himself.

"Oh come on! You're in detention with me! Cheer up!" I gave him a little playful shove. "That's exactly the problem." I heard him mutter furiously. "What?" I snapped.

"N-nothing!" He stuttered.

Good.

"You know what McGonagall thinks we were doing in there after curfew?" Taehyun suggested, he sounded a little less mad now. "She probably thinks we were snogging or even-" Before I could finish my sentence, Taehyun spoke up.

"Please don't continue." Taehyun sternly said.

"What? I personally think snogging me would be a prestige." I shrugged. This has become my recent favourite activity. To tease the shit out of Kang Taehyun.

"Prestige." Taehyun scoffed, mockingly.

"What? You think it's not?" I abruptly turned to him. "You want to try it then?" He turned to me as well, still moving his legs. "What if I say I do?"

THE FUCK?!

My breath was all hitched again and my heart began to race. It's all because of embarassment. I hadn't planned what I'd do if he flirted back. I was probably red-faced as well.

"We're here!" I realised that we were just about to reach McGonagall's office. I hurried the last five steps to the door of the office.

By the time Taehyun got to me, I gestured with my eyes for him to knock on the door, while folding my arms. Though unwilling, he sighed out and knocked on the door.

"Come in." McGonagall's voice echoed.

Taehyun pulled the door and stepped aside, holding the handle, to let me in. O-oh. Why did he do that? Nah, I'm just overthinking, that's just basic courtesy. Without thinking twice, I sauntered in.

There was McGonagall, seated at her table., leaning forward with her forearms on the table infront of her. I stood on the other side of the table. I was soon joined by Taehyun.

"I really didn't expect this from you, Taehyun..." She shook her head, disappointed.

"And you expected this from me?" I scoffed. But a death glare from her made me shut up at once. I didn't seem anymore trouble. I'd be dead meat if she decides to inform this to my parents.

"Professor, it's really not what you-" Taehyun pleaded but McGonagall was in no mood to listen. "I know this is the age- but listen, young man, and lady, this is unacceptable. Please control your hormones." She interrupted him.

What hormones? We weren't even doing anything!

"Professor-" Taehyun was about to defend us but his words were cut off because of the door of the office opening with a thud. Instinctively, all of us turned to the door.

There stood Flitwick, panting, holding onto the door.

"I apologise, Professor for barging in, in such a way. But, there's an emergency!! We need you down at the Great Hall. The students are brawling over there. Someone referred to another as You Know Who's son and then the row started!" Flitwick tried to catch his breath. It was evident that he ran here.

"Not again!" McGonagall leapt up from her seat.

Slughorn appeared behind Flitwick just then. "I have no clue how this You Know Who's son rumour started but this is causing so much trouble." She hurried to the door. She completely ignored our presence.

McGonagall had reached the door when she suddenly turned back to us. "You two... uh... Slughorn will take care of you!" She hastily said, before scurrying away accompanied by Flitwick.

Slughorn seemed to be as bewildered as we were.

Before he could even question the situation, McGonagall had departed. "Detention?" He questioned, anxiously. We nodded. "Uh...follow me." He instructed.

I shared a glance with Taehyun before trailing behind Slughorn. It was evident that Slughorn had no clue what he was doing either. Striding through a hallway, he pushed the door of an empty classroom open and stood aside to let us in.

Though addled, we still walked into the classroom.

While Slughorn didn't move an inch away from the doorframe. He seemed to be troubled. An uneasy expression continued to be pasted on his face. "You two uh...stay here. I'll have to leave. I have a matter to discuss with the Headmistress. Don't leave the classroom. Just stay put here quietly. This is your detention. It'll be over in an hour." Slughorn quickly said, his mind being somewhere else.

While Slughorn was departing, I'm sure I caught him murmuring something like 'intruder in Hogwarts'. Though, I won't guarantee it.

He had slammed the door shut and strode away.

"That was weird." I scoffed after Slughorn had left. "It seemed like they have greater issues to address rather than giving detention to two students." Taehyun said.

I went over to one of the seats at the center of the classroom and settled there. not after long, I was joined by Taehyun beside me.

"You heard something about an intruder?" Taehyun asked, as he sat down. I leaned back on my seat and crossed my legs. "So, I wasn't hearing things." I played with some strands of my hair with my right hand.

"I think it's Delphini." Taehyun suggested. "Oh your girlfriend?" I smirked, turning to him. He looked back at me with an unamused look on his face. "You must be worried?" I raised a brow, still simpering.

"She has been in this situation before. She'll know how to get out. It's not a big deal." Taehyun shrugged, turning away.

I didn't reply.

"Did you get your time-turner?" Taehyun suddenly questioned. Oh yes, I had informed him about this. I pulled my prized time-turner out of the pocket of my robes and held it in the air.

Taehyun stared at, amused for a few seconds before turning away.

"I'm presuming you use it on a daily basis." Taehyun said. I scoffed, dramatically. I shoved the time-turner back into my pocket. "On what? For lessons? Getting out of trouble in school? Nah, not my cup of tea. After I graduate, I have superior plans to execute with this thing."

"Tch Slytherins." Taehyun rolled his eyes.

"Excuse you?" I faced him, twisting my whole body towards him. "Uhm tell me then, are your superior plans for the everyone's benefit or for your selfish reasons?" Taehyun folded his arms.

"Ofcourse it's for my well-being! I ain't getting paid for benefiting everyone now, am I?" I prompted.

"Evident." Taehyun shrugged.

This bitch-

"It's still better than sticking to books all day!" I argued. "Ravenclaws don't always study, it's your misconception." Taehyun replied. "You people are uninteresting either way." I said.

"You think I'm boring?" Taehyun questioned, in a low voice.

"Yes!" I snapped.

"Okay. I don't find you interesting either." Taehyun replied. "You don't?" I raised a brow at him. He shook his head as a negative response. I couldn't help but scoff.

This is an insult.

But also an opportunity. Opportunity to start teasing him again. The way he gets submissive and red-faced gives me the utmost pleasure. I smirk as an idea emerge in my mind.