Unfailing Truths

Their orbs had connected as the Archbishop announced Cleo and Chantel's engagement. Everybody had gasped in sheer shock, and excitement roared within the grand room. It was going to be the first royal wedding of the twenty-first century and without a doubt going to be the most watched and spoken about event the world had seen.   Cleo had risen from his throne in sheer anger, furious at the fact that his mother hadn't mentioned anything about this engagement since his arrival back home from Ghana. He had forgotten that in order to fully go through the process of being named King, it was required that he chose a Princess before the week had ended. 

The options were endless.

His vision blurred with white fury as he promenaded out of the overly hysterical chapel, ignoring the odd looks of confusion and bewilderment which went his way. It wasn't until long that he had hit something solid under his feet.

"What the hell! why the hell are you here? go back to your bloody quarters or i'll drag you there myself!" All he had saw was the burgundy and white uniform of the hired maids, pretty sure that his Mother had requested for them not to linger near the chapel; plus he was nowhere in the mood for any foolish banter.

"Prince Cleo...are you alright?" her voice was barely audible, and when she raised her hands to her shoulder in an attempt to comfort, he harshly shrugged her off. Her voice sounded familiar to him, but he figured that it was most likely one of the precarious he and Isaiah always fooled around with. His leg stride to the balcony near by, the view breathtaking as the sunset had just began to darken over London, giving the sky a beautiful purple hue. Down below, he could still make out those faces  and silhouettes of the queen's guards and the barricaded gates in which the supporters and admirers stood behind still holding up hand crafted signs, cameras and worn looking magazines.  

He continued to speak, knowing that maid had followed behind him lingering by the open doorways. She frowned as she spoke. "Cleo?" she repeated. There was a long pause and she waited with him in his moment of silence.

" Have you ever been in love?" He softly mumbled to the girl, his back turned towards her. He dramatically paused pretending to wait for her answer ; but he and the maid both knew it was rhetorical. " I thought I was," he began," twice actually." Cleo walked closer to the ledge of the balcony, his hand gripping the railing so hard that his knuckles resembled the color of an eggshell.

"What happened?" He hadn't really looked at her once , and she was beginning to grow upset; she wanted to run up to him, and tackle him into a hug; but more than ever she wanted him to turn around and catch a glimpse of her- to watch him stride up to her and swoop her up, telling her how much he missed her and possibly even loved her.

"I fucked up...bad! There was this one girl i had met on one of my business inquiries, a true natural beauty inside and out, but she wanted nothing to do with me. The other one...well.... I loved her and probably still do, but not the same way... "The same way I loved.... love the other one, he thought in his head. "She's beautiful no doubt about it, and I shouldn't be ungrateful because I'm getting more than most. And at least I get to marry my best friend..." He trailed off his eyes distance in deep thought.

Syn'dee couldn't believe what she was hearing; he was getting married, and he never mentioned this once back in Ghana; it's not like you just get engaged out of the blue. She began to run, regretting come here to see him. I'm not going to stop until I'm out of here, out of this country!  She promised herself. She made it around the corner before her legs gave; she felt sick like she might vomit. She hiccuped a sob, what was the point of even coming? And just like that she erased all those bitter sweet memories out of her mind.

"Hey! Are you okay?" A voice came out from behind her.