Revealing Truths

Cleo's P.O.V

Sauntering through the large double french doors, my first step into the eerie castle echoes. I shoved my hands into the comforting depths of my tailored pockets, looking down at the cold, hard marble floors, each tile looking like it had been chosen with a specific taste in mind. King A'yo's,of course. The beautifully painted illustrations hanging against the deep crimson walls made it difficult not to gasp. I was in awe. In no way had I imagined the palace to look this good. Damn. "Ah, the Prince has arrived!" I gradually raised my head to watch a tremendously lanky man rubbing his palms together, as he descended the exquisitely railing of the staircase engraved with flowers and vines, never a one to be the same. His aura of self sufficiency as he emerged down the stairs brought everyone to silent attention, including myself. "King A'yo." I recognized with a quirk of my lips, nodding my head once in acknowledgment.

His grin widened, if possible, as we emerged one another into a brief hug. "It's good to see you!" The corners of A'yo's eyes crinkled with contentment as he gazed around the foyer, suddenly noticing the heaving servants behind us, carrying my belongings. They knew better than to interrupt the King while he was conversing, and I couldn't help but notice the apparent discoloration of their skin. Almost looking like...bruises. "So, how about a drink for our newest guest, hmm? You must be exhausted!" A'yo's alcohol filled breath snapped me from any previous thought as I gazed back towards him, a wide boyish grin suddenly taking over my features. "You don't have to ask me twice." With a deep chuckle he nodded, traversing along the marbled tiles and towards two large cherry wooden doors, perfectly carved with the initials of the supposed family's name to the renaissance feel of the castle.

'G.R.'

I wouldn't question A'yo about it, because for one, didn't care-and two, it wasn't any of my business. A'yo pushed open the wooden doors, and I quirked a brow in unexpectedness -- the walls were lined with alcoves, filled with magnificent tapestries, marble busts of long-dead ancestors, and portraits of famous battles, all too far away to make specific detail. "Bourbon? Whiskey?" A'yo lifted a brow, shaking the two glass bottles in each hand. "What the hell, Give me both." I shrugged nonchalantly rubbing my own palms together. A'yo smiled timidly, nodding as he turned his back to retrieve the glasses. Behind his back my smile faltered, as I tensed my jaw in annoyance. I wanted to leave. While my father was alive, he had told me about King A'yo of Ghana and his cunning, manipulative ways. He had stated that out of all kings he had ever had the pleasure of meeting, King A'yo was by far the most sadistic. It made me think back to the servants earlier, certainly those bruises hadn't come from hard labor. "Here we go.." A'yo returned minutes later, nursing two glasses of bourbon/whiskey. He handed me a glass whilst chuckling. "To Us. Being Royalty." He lamely toasted, to which I grit my teeth, clinking the side of my glass with his a little too roughly causing the content to topple over and land over his designer shirt. I wasn't going to apologize. "Oops." I smirked before bringing the glass to my lips and taking a generous gulp, feeling the acidic liquid burn my throat raw.

Syn'dee's P.O.V

I yawned softly into the palm of my hand, while using the other to stretch my dainty arm over my head. I was exhausted, having worked 48 hours straight with no sleep at all. Not that I mind. If I retreated back to my chambers there was a possibility that King A'yo would try and put his filthy hands on me or my bunking buddy, Sasha.

I couldn't do that to her. I wouldn't. She was a new maid here, only being here for 2 months after the old maid died of pneumonia. My fingers had gone surprisingly numb over the relentless hours of work and I had began to spot several blisters breaking out into the palm of my hand and pads of my fingertips. "Syd'nee?" A soft call of my name in the noiseless corridor brought me to full attention from my task of scrubbing the non existent grime from the tiles, and I was thankful for the interruption. "Sasha?" I frowned slowly, easing up from the floor as I straightened my tattered black and white uniform. "What are you doing up? It's half past 12." Sasha smiled sheepishly, playing with the hem of her uniform, hazel orbs glistening as she gazed up to me. "I couldn't.....at least not until I got a chance to meet the prince. He's from Australia or something, right? I.. I know I shouldn't be up at this hour but....hey, why aren't you in bed?" Sasha folded her arms against her chest, glaring up at me with a mocking scowl. I scoffed, returning back to my task at hand. "Because I still haven't finished cleaning the tiles, and I'm older." "Two years older isn't so much of a difference, Syd." I gazed back up at her to stick my tongue out, making her giggle lightly as she shook her head, easing into her usual playful mood. I looked to Sasha as a little sister, as she had reminded me so much of mine back at home, Kalika. I vowed to never to speak of my personal life outside of the castle, but when it came to Sasha, I couldn't. We just connected.

"You know you can't see the prince, Sash. King A'yo gave specific orders to us all.If he catches any of us conversing with the Prince, the consequences shall be life threatening." At that we both shuddered, a sudden chill running down our spines. I would never admit to anyone, but I, myself, was terrified of King A'yo and his cold blooded ways. The way his dark eyes would pierce into yours, as if it was going straight into the depths of your soul, and not to mention all the power he had. He was King, after all.

"Oh come on, Syd'nee.. We don't even have to make ourselves noticed, we can just hide behind the doors or something." I gave Sasha an incredulous look, shaking my head back and forth with pure disbelief at her perseverance. "Sasha. We can't." At that she huffed, folding her arms over her chest once again. "Well, fine! I'll go on my own then. Who needs you?!" Sasha's features deformed into one of displeasure as she spun on her heels, going the opposite direction and towards the main halls. I stood up abruptly, bringing my hand to clasp at her wrist, halting her actions. "Let go of me!" She snapped angrily attempting to tug her wrist free.

"Where do you honestly think you're going?!" I whispered harshly, attempting to drag her back towards me and behind one of the large stone pillars. "Are you deaf?! I'm going to look for the Pri-" "Shhh! Someone's coming!" I quickly slapped my filth covered palm over her mouth, hushing her without a second thought. The tympani rhythm of two sets of boots beating against the hard ground brought us both to sudden alert. "Hide!" We both exclaimed together before rushing behind one of the large cream colored pillars. My chestnut orbs widened upon spotting the rusty brush I had left in the middle of the corridor, exposed completely to anyone who dared pass by. Sasha had apparently spotted the brush as well, as her own eyes widened bringing a palm to her mouth as she side glanced me with a glare. I frowned softly, pressing my back firmly against the stoned pillar as the promenading footsteps began to increase in our direction. I held my breath in anticipation and fear of getting caught out of my chambers at this hour. Sure, there were maids and other workers here older than 50, but we all had the same curfew. 'Nobody should be caught out of bed later than 11:30 PM, or else.' King A'yo had imprinted that thought into our skulls as soon as we'd stepped through the threshold and into the palace. 'You're in my house, so everyone shall abide to my rules. Period.' Was another one of his reassuring laws- as he called it.

"Tomorrow we shall discuss further business and arrange a date for the Nigerian Prime Minister to come down as well. How's that sound?" I promptly recognized that voice as King A'yo's. It seemed he was speaking to someone, but his voice sounded slightly slurred. As if he was.. drunk? I furrowed my brows, and glanced behind my shoulder to gaze at Sasha who seemed to be just as puzzled as I was. "Who's he speaking to?" Sasha mouthed towards me, which I shrugged, perplexed in return.

"That sounds perfect, thank-you, A'yo." I swallowed thickly upon listening to the unknown man respond, his deep tone embracing the air like the evening perfume of summer flowers. And then I saw him, the way he brushed his beautiful golden hair back, and the way his perfect physique towered over the king. He was flawless. Sasha lightly pushed me out of my daze, as a moan left my lips. It was then, at that precise moment his green orbs met mine.