First Cut Is The Deepest

Syd'nee POV

I continued to rub at my eyes, sleep not an option at this point anymore. I was still appalled at the ghastly news Sharonia had told me. She'd intentionally went to Cleo's room and told him that I'd left for London to get away from him. He most definitely had to be out of Ghana by now. Probably in his Hampstead palace, worrying about more important matters and more important people than the likes of me. I suddenly began to think of Sharonia's words, all the times she would sneer into my face and tell me how pathetic and worthless I was for even looking in the direction of the Prince. 'He'd never love a disgusting peasant like you! You scrub shit off my shoes for a living.' Perhaps she was right. Perhaps... just perhaps it really wasn't meant to be with us. We both came from separate worlds, separate wealth's, separate race...

"Pssst...PSSSTT!" I jumped slightly whilst blinking furiously in the darkness of the cell. Sharonia and Shawhna had left a while ago, Shawhna apologizing behind her again and again- probably feeling the guilt of ruining her younger sister's features, obviously never interfering in her sister's circular activities before. "Wha...hello?" I found myself whispering back hoarsely, my brown eyes squinting whilst scanning around the darkened, blackened cell.

"Syd'nee? Syd'nee is that you? It's me! It's me, Sasha!" I gasped audibly as a petite silhouette, much similar to mine began crawling on their hands and knees discombobulated. "Sash?! What are you doing here?" Sasha's head craned to the side as she detected my voice before turning her entire body to crawl in my direction. "Shh..." She said softly, keeping me quiet for a second as we both paid attention to the sound of the cell door being opened. Immediately, luminous light blinded my vision as I'd been kept in the dark for nearly two hours. I held my breath as the person stepped into the room and slammed the cell door behind them, provoking an involuntary gasp from both Sasha and I, as she'd found her way to me, our backs both firmly pressed against the cemented walls and out fingers interlaced with each others tightly.

"Girls? You there?" I blew a sigh of relief upon recognizing the voice of Shawhna. Thank God.

"Over here!" I called out whilst giving Sasha's hand a small squeeze of reassurance. Shawhna's ballet flats began to lightly clack against the ground before stumbling over something and cursing loudly. Sasha's grip on my hand began to tighten as Shawhna approached us, an iPhone 5 hoisted firmly over her head as a guiding light. She crouched down to us, a small, but sad looking smile playing against her features.

"I'm so sorry for all of this, Syd'nee. I can't believe how evil and... and conniving my sister really is!" Shawhna momentarily allowed her emotions to get the best of her as she clenched her teeth tightly, releasing an uncomfortable grinding sound in the air. I nodded, although she could hardly see me, as the flashlight began to dim gradually and gradually up until the phone itself shut off completely. She heaved another curse to which Sasha whimpered, quickly drawing her attention.

"Who the hell are you?" Shawhna questioned with what I could imagine as a puzzled expression. Sasha stiffened slightly and I nudged her, leaning over and dipping my head to whisper into the shell of her ear. "Sash, it's okay... she won't hurt us.. won't hurt you. I promise. She's here to help." Sasha coughed softly before nodding against my upper arm.

Shawhna's POV

I intently listened to Syd'nee's friend cough gently, obviously attempting to unshy herself for the situation. My eyes remained on the darkened shadow of where I suspected her head to be. Damn, they really need a window in this place. I can't see shit! "I came looking for Syd'nee, about 300 miles from the Palace of Accra, owned by King A'yo..."

I quirked a brow. Did this girl not know I was his daughter? Eldest, furthermore? I frowned slightly, my lower lip bulging out as I listened to her voice die down. Sure, I understood that Sharonia was and would always be the more acknowledged, even favorable sister, but I would've thought the people of Ghana had more of an understanding that there was not one but princess- but two. I'd always been in my sister's shadow, even growing up as royal teenagers. Sure, we'd both acquired beauty from our french-speaking Congolese mother with our fully shaped lips accented with a perfect cupids bow, relaxed and straightened shoulder length hair which bounced jubilantly each time we'd make the slightest of moves. We both carried out father's tall genes, towering at an outstanding height of 5'9-without heels.

"I know of there. Do you not know who I am?" I inquired although knowing the answer. It was about time to start accepting the fact I was never going to match up to Sharonia. "N..No.." Sasha in took a sharp breath and I suddenly shook my head, realizing that sitting here would provide no escape for them. My attention span could be so frail at times.

"I'll tell you on the way. Come on. Grab onto me, Syd'nee- Sasha, you follow suit." I barked in a hushed tone whilst standing onto my feet expeditiously. I instantly felt a tug at the hem of my shirtless blouse and I nodded into the darkness over my lean shoulder before retreating forward one step at a time, my brown orbs trained on the glowing outline of the cell door which would lead to the girls' salvation. "Little closer now.." I murmured before clasping my palms around the cemented knob. Yes! Finally! I yanked the door open and squinted, immediately being exposed to the luminous light of the dungeon's corridor. I blinked whilst feeling four pairs of arms encircling themselves around my small waist. Syd'nee and Sasha stood both behind me, their arms tightening against my waist as they both ushered words of gratitude into the shell of my ear. Although still quite stiff, I managed a smile behind my shoulder, looking both the maids in the eyes before nodding once.

"How can we ever repay you miss...?" Sasha suddenly piped up, tucking a loose kinky curl behind her ear. Syd'nee watched the altercation with pursed lips, probably expecting me to lash at Sasha for not recognizing me, even in the light. I grinned, turning on my heels to face her as I held up my chin, ever so slighty.

"Princess Shawhna Asare, of King A'yo and the late Queen Vanessa." Sasha gasped, taking a mild step backward nearly stumbling back into the cell she just came, her hazel hues as wide as basins. "Oh my... I-I mean, your majesty! I... I didn't know, I didn't recognize you, I swear- I mean that in a good way because you know I uh-" I held up a hand to shush her, still relishing in her reaction of me being royalty. "Don't loose sleep over it, it's fine Sash." I joked with a toothy grin, before jumping as a loud array of sirens began to go off over our heads, indicating that an intruder had either escaped from their cell, or their was an unwanted stranger in the facility. Shit! They must've seen us sneak out of our cells on security tape! The corridor instantly turned a dark shade of crimson and I looked back at the girls to scream out one word.

"Run!"