Chapter 15: Forgiveness ?

Today was Camille's funeral, as the New Orleans tradition, some kind of party was organized at the Rousseau's where she worked. Jazz music was played and alcohol was given. Marcel and I went but we didn't stay long, but long enough for Hayley to see I was there. She didn't say anything but gave me a sad smile, and I could see in her eyes how sorry she was for everything. I smiled back letting her know I wasn't mad at her, she wasn't like them.

We placed a rose on Cami's coffin, ignoring the Mikaelsons brothers on our way, but I couldn't help but noticed Klaus watching us sadly, like he felt guilty for what happened to Davina, in the end her almost death wasn't his idea, he was opposed to it, just like Hayley because he didn't want Kol to lose the person he loved just like him with Camille.

We went back to Marcel's loft to take care of Davina. Since the day she almost died again, her mind was still fussy, she was in and out of consciousness sometimes saying intelligible things, so she needed a lot of rest and calm. So we were nursing her when he heard someone arrived. Closing the door we went to the living room, in there was Klaus. Seeing us, go out of a room and probably hearing Davina's heartbeat he started talking,

« I know how much you care for her. This must be difficult for you.

- That's funny. Because this doesn't sound like an apology, Marcel scoffed.

- Marcel...

- He's right Klaus. The Mikaelsons would have killed her, if I hadn't intervened. And for that I paid with my life.

- Lucien had to die. He would have destroyed us all.

- Yeah, thanks to his vendetta against you, Marcel cut him.

- He was a threat, we responded in kind. If Freya had the power to kill Lucien, without putting anyone in danger, she would have.

- Right. Davina, a kid, had to die to save an immortal family who had lived thousands of years. Right, it makes sense, I laughed sarcastically. There is always another choice.

- There wasn't, Klaus said quietly.

- What am I to you, Klaus ? You know that Davina's is my daughter and you're here defending the people who almost killed her. So what am I ? Your friend ? Your sidekick ? Or just a charity case that you didn't have the heart to abandon yet ? He scoffed.

- You and I are bonded by blood. And yes, we quarrel, but that is what family does.

- So if he would have killed Camille to save himself, it would have been okay ? I said watching Klaus face saden. I don't think so. You see, I saw you being capable of loving Klaus, but this small hope in you isn't enough to balance your family's incapability of only loving anyone else than themself.

- She's right Klaus, now you're nothing to me.

- Freya loves you Y/n. And Marcellus, just give me one last chance to prove you wrong. Come with me, both of you, he pleaded before leaving. »

I sighted, and I saw Marcel had a few tears in his eyes. I took him by the arm and we followed Klaus. We arrived at an iron bridge with little lanterns. Water was passing below with a strong courant. Klaus leaned on the bridge and watched the water.

« It's a long way to go to make a point, Marcel said.

- Surely you remember this place.

- Yeah sure. Two or three bridges ago, this is where you had me scatter my father's ashes, Marcel said, making me smile softly at the thought of Klaus acting with kindness.

- You were still newly turned and I feared the brillant, kind hearted boy I raised would be lost in a cloud of rage. So I brought you here, the bridge we crossed the first time we took you home, the time you became our family's newest member.