Chapter 20: We have to do something

Hope's fever was back but she wasn't feeling pain. On my side, I had a huge headache but nothing I couldn't handle, Vincent told me that the fact I siphoned Hope made the pain easier for her because I took it but also that I had a small part of the Hollow in me.

As usual, Klaus wanted to murder off some witches, but Elijah and Hayley told him, not in this words but almost, to sit his ass back down and protect his daughter here. While Hayley and I went to see Marcel. Right before we left Elijah added something.

« A word of warning. The Marcel that you knew is gone. So, whatever he is now, he's no ally, he told Hayley.

- Elijah, stop right there before I rip your head off, I threatened him. Marcel is my friend, he helped me when I turned into a vampire. Try to harm him or me again and I'll have no problem leaving you to die by his bite, I said coldly before leaving. »

Marcel, Hayley and I arrived at the Tremé, a place where witches were. And the obvious tension between the witches and vampires could be seen clearly. Finally a witch told us about a girl named Lara who drew the symbol of the Hollow on her windows with blood. But Lara wasn't a witch, she was a werewolf from the Bayou, Hayley's pack. We found her in the Bayou but what she said didn't reassure us at all.

« I know why you are here. You're here because of the children. I'm sorry. I am. They're as good as dead.

- We're not here to hurt you, Hayley said trying to ease up the situation.

- You can't hurt me any more than I've already hurt myself. I didn't know this was gonna happen. I didn't know they were going to bring children into these.

- It's okay but who "they" are ? I asked the werewolf.

- Those that serve the Hollow. Followers of the blue light. I thought we were doing something good trying to take our city back from him, she said, showing Marcel with her knife. From the vampires. For five years we kept quiet. Watching you lord over this city like it was yours.

- Hey, I spent the last five years keeping the peace... He tried to defend himself.

- It's not your city to rule ! She yelled. New Orleans belongs to all of us. And the Hollow offered us the power we needed. So long as we pledge our allegiance.

- But Lara, you're a Crescent. You have the pack, you don't need this cult, Hayley said.

- You were gone. You chose the Original Family over your own kind. Don't you see ? Our pack means nothing. You mean nothing ! And you Y/n, you're just like her, the siphoner descendant of a New Orleans witch that never joined her coven because of the Original Family.

- Not like this coven tried to help when my parents were murdered, I snapped coldly.

- You're right, Hayley said, trying to ease the obvious tension. I wasn't there. But I have a daughter now, and Lara she's one of the kids. Please help us, she pleaded.

- You can't help them, she laughed. The Hollow wants power. The kind that comes with sacrifices. It will rise and we will bow before it. Even you, she added, looking at Marcel. My only mercy is I won't be here to see it, she said, slitting her own throat.

- Coward, I scoffed. »

Vincent, Elijah and Klaus soon joined us at The Bayou, Hope was now into the care of Freya's hand. We left to find the kids, things got a bit rough Klaus killed the two hollow's followers but he and Marcel got trapped into the Hollow's dimension while Vincent and I tried to break the spell without killing anyone since it was a sacrifice ritual that needed a sacrifice to be undone.

« These kids are powering that ritual. But there might be a loophole if I link it to you, Vincent said.

- Are you suggesting we take my life ? Elijah asked, perplexed.

- I'm suggesting we stake you with wood. You die, temporarily, and that might be enough to break the spell.

- Mare. Mare leurs. Mare leurs esprits ! Mare leurs esprits ! Mare leurs esprits ! We started casting.

- Hayley, do it now ! Vincent said.

- No, it's my pleasure to do it really, I said, staking the stake through Elijah's heart. That's for the punch when I saved your life, I smirk. Did it work ?

- Yeah, Vincent sighed heavily. »

We got back home, thinking everything was fine but it wasn't.

In the middle of the night, I woke up and started walking in the house. I found Hope who was looking at Klaus. His eyes were blue, blue like the Hollow and when I looked into the mirror so were mine.

I gasped awake yelling, hearing Hope do the same and muttered « No no no it's here. The Hollow is here.»

The Hollow was with us.

I was able to go back to sleep, before waking up again in the morning. I quickly dressed, I passed in front of a mirror before suddenly stopping as I heard a noise, it was Elijah's voice. I turn around to see him.

« You'll never be part of this family Y/n. Niklaus might start to trust you but my voice will make him change his mind. You're nothing to us. Just a means to our ends, he said, smirking.

- What ? I stuttered.

- Do you see how easily Freya and I abandon you and turn our back on you, he added.

- Shut up, I say punching him in the face only to pass through him. You're not Elijah... I breathed out seeing his blue eyes, the Hollow eyes.

- Maybe I'm not. But you are so powerful Y/n, you deserve better than this. Everything I'm saying comes right from your heart, your deepest fear.

- Then it means you're not real, I said, closing my eyes and taking a deep breath as I heard Hope arrive. »

She asked me if I was going with them to the Bayou and I told her that I had something to do today but I promised to come next time. Klaus also didn't come. Like me he had a vision. His were of his father telling him to kill his enemy, with no mercy. We put our bland into a bowl before Freya started speaking.

« Tell me again what happened to both of you.

- I fought evil, saved children. And instead of having a medal, I've been infected with some depraved ghost.

- And I siphon Hope for her pain.

- Well, I know purging spells and cleaning rituals, so I can fix this. In the meantime, have you considered that you're not the only one infected.

- Marcel was exposed as well, Klaus sighed.

- If Marcel is seeing something similar to Klaus, you guys are in a deep mess, I say.

- I need to purify the three of you, Freya stated.

- No, Not yet, Klaus intervened. If the Hollow can look into me. Then I can look back at it and find out what it wants.

- It's too dangerous, I sighed.

- This thing came after Hope, he stated determined.

- Fine. I give you both an hour, Freya told us. And something else, she added, taking a dagger. The means to kill the unkillable King of New Orleans. If Marcel comes after you, use this, she told her brother who looked at her a bit mad.
Oh. You're mad I kept a secret from you ? Fine. Chastise me once you've made it through the day, she said as Klaus took the dagger.

- We said we'd create something to weaken Marcel, not kill him, I told Freya feeling betrayed before following Klaus outside.

- They'll betray you again, The Hollow whispered into my head again. »