Chapter 17: Caroline

The Mikaelsons were gone, the city seemed more peaceful even though tensions were still present between the community, but Marcel had made a truth between Vincent's witches and his vampires. It's been three years since the Fall of the Mikaelsons. A year ago Hayley texted me back saying she forgave me and asked me to come see her. I spent a lot of time with her and Hope, raising her daughter side by side who was now five years old.

However I never told Marcel that Freya had found a way to cure the bite, Hayley needed to find a member of the seven original werewolf packs, and some other ingredient. I told her that when she would find them she could call me and I would do the spell. My anger had diminished after the years and I understood why Elijah and Freya did what they did, they only wanted to protect their family just like my parents hid my magic and left me to save my life.
Marcel was still mad at them and Davina who had almost completely healed was a bit angry for what we did at first but after I told her that Kol was still alive thanks to Freya's magic, she calmed herself and everything was back to normal.

I had started working at the Rousseau, to make some money and pass time, I missed hanging out with Kol and Hayley, and now she was far away to go visit her everyday, so I went during the weekend and holidays.

Today wasn't a really busy day, someone walked in, and before I could see who it was, she started talking to one of the barista.

« I'm looking for Y/n, is she here ?

- Why ? The barista answered dryly

- I'm a friend, tell her Caroline Forbes is here.

- I... the barista started to answer.

- I'm right here, I said from behind her. Jonathan, why don't you go serve other clients and be more civil would you ? I said, making him apologized and leave. Sorry about that Caroline, I added hugging her.

- Don't worry Y/n, it's been a long time since we last saw each other.

- It is, I didn't think I would see you here today. Why the visit ?

- Things are a bit... rough in Mystic Fall. So I told myself let's take a small trip to New Orleans for today with the girls.

- Hi Y/n, the twins said together shyly.

- Hi, you must be Lizzie, I said pointing at the blond girl. And you Josie, I said looking at the brunette. Nice to finally meet you, your mother talks a lot about you.

- She does ? They said, still hiding behind their mother.

- She does, and you see you and I have a lot in common, I smiled. I'm a siphoner, I whispered to them. I'll show you a few tricks if you want, I smiled. But before that maybe let's go to my place because you are way too young to be in a bar.

- She's right, come on girls, Caroline added. »

We walked for a while until we were at my place. We played with the girls and their magic. I also helped them understand better how much they could siphon but it was still all a bit abstract to them. After a while they went to sleep in my room while Caroline and I stayed in the living room.

« Do you want a drink now that the kids are asleep ? I asked.

- Yes, thank you, she smiled.

- Alcohol or blood ?

- Both, she chuckled.

- Okay coming right up, I said using my vamp speed before sitting in front of her on the sofa.

- It's still weird to see you do that you know. When we first met you were only a witch and well we don't have only good experience with heretics in Mystic Fall, she shrugged.

- Yeah I know, but the positive thing about being a heretic is that I am my source of magic so I'm not defenseless anymore, I smiled thinking about all the time I couldn't use my magic.

- Well you definitely learned a lot of things when you died, she smiled. Your family, your covens, even your magic.

- I definitely did. I have something to ask you, Care. Do you know if I can siphon werewolf bites ? In case something happened to me.

- Normally you can. I saw Kai siphoned Klaus's bite, so you should be good, she smiled.

- Well that's a relief, I smiled before having a flashback making me winced.»

« And don't forget for your friend, the only way to escape the merge is to have a dead twin. »

« Y/n ? Y/n ? You okay ? Caroline said, shaking me.

- Yeah I just remembered something my dad said, I said frowning.

- What was it about ? She asked curiously.

- You. More like your daughters. He told me about the Merge that I did with my twin, but I assume you already know what it is.

- I do. It's the reason Kai killed Josette.

- Well, my dad said there was only one way to escape it. It was to have a dead twin...

- You're not saying I have to kill one of my daughters, so one of them doesn't die after a mental battle, she asked horrified.

- No, I don't think that's what we meant. There is always a loophole in magic, maybe death is the one for the Merge.

- Maybe but when you die, you stay dead.

- Not always...I whispered realization crossing my features. Vampire are dead right, we're dead... I trailed off.

- So the only way to escape the Merge is to have one twin to become a heretic, she sighted defeated.

- Maybe there's another way but he knew a lot about the Gemini Coven, he already searched for a way for me and the Coven didn't have anything on that. It might be the only way. I hope we find something else before they turn 22 but at least you have a back up plan.

- You're right, it's better than losing one of them forever, she smiled sadly. »

She let out a shaky breath, tears were now forming in her eyes. I put down my drink and hers before hugging her tightly. Still crying, she laid down on me, on the sofa, crying softly on my shoulder. Without noticing a few tears also escaped my eyes, because of her daughter's fate but mostly because hugging Caroline made me think of Freya. Her blond hair, her green eyes, her soft touch. I still loved her after all those years, but I knew that when she would wake up she would hate me.

Caroline stayed the night with her daughters and in the morning, they left.

A/N: Hi guys ! I hope you are enjoying the story ! I'm currently having a few problems with my phone to post ! But I'll try to at least do it every Monday!
Have a good day/night! 💙
Love you all