Chapter 1

The teacher was not here. We were supposed to do our own work. From where I sat, I could see Dion going from table to table, giving out something that looked like cards to my classmates. She would pause to talk to some of them or flash them a smile before fluttering to the next table in a graceful and unhurried manner.

"A masquerade party tonight? That'll be fun!" Jolin's words travelled to my ears.

Party. I have never been to one. I tore my eyes away from my elated classmates and started doodling mindlessly on my notebook with a heavy, sinking feeling. There's no way I'll be invited. After several occassions of rejecting offers made by my classmated to parties and outings, they have stopped trying to include me in their activities. I'm a no-fun, they had commented. Besides, my mum would never grant me the autonomy. Maybe it's better this way. I won't have to wrack my brain for new excuses to reject their offer even when I badly longed to nod my head and say yes. That thought itself comforted me. A little at least.

"Fortis?" a voice broke my train of thoughts.

I looked up from the messy stars sketches to see Dion with her hand outstretched, holding a beautifully decorated card inches away from my face. You are invited. The three tempting words beckoned me. A surge of suppressed excitement bubbled inside of me. As fast as the excitement came, it was extinguished by the thought of my mother. I swallowed hard, preparing myself to once again say the words that I thoroughly detest now.

"No thank y..." before I could finish my words, I was interrupted.

"There's no more exams to prepare for. Come on. Just enjoy yourself alright? Convince your mother. Treat it as a break," she smiled encouragingly.

My face heated up. She saw through my excuses. Do the others know it all along too?

"Just come okay? I hope to see you there," she placed the invitation card on my table and shot me a wink before walking away.

For the first time in years, a genuine smile found its way to my face as I gripped the edge of the invitation card tightly. A flicker of hope rekindled in my heart. I will convince my mother. Please. Just this once.

After the bell that signalled the end of school rang, I stuffed my books into my bag and made my way to the gate hastily. My mother would be there on the dot, waiting for me. Any extra delay in time would incur an 'interrogation' when I got back home.

I gave my mum a thin smile when I saw her and she waved back in reply. The walk home was full of brooding for me. How am I supposed to approach the subject? What if she rejected it immediately? Should I just toss the card away and pretend that it never happened? I tugged at the clover-shaped necklace hanging around my neck.

"Did something happen in school?" my mother asked, concern etched across her features.

"No, nothing at all..." I replied a little too quickly and my mother gave me a lingering gaze before adverting it to the route in front of us. I released a small sigh of relief. She won't be expecting answers from me. Not until we get home. Until then, I'll think of how to broach the subject.

She hung the keys on the key rack and slumped on the couch. I went to join her with my heart in my mouth. I still hadn't thought of how to bring the matter up. I cleared my throat before I spoke. "I'm seventeen mum."

So? I could read it from her raised brow. My heart was hammering in my chest as I struggled to find the most appropriate words to use.

"You see...I was invited to a masquerade party by my..." I searched for the right description. "Friend. Can I?" I figured that 'friend' would give me more chance than just a 'classmate' in this context.