Chapter 26

*After dinner*

Fortis' POV.

"Here it goes," I muttered as I pulled open the door fully.

It was one of those few doors that opened outwards and was able to be locked in this accommodation. The slightly ajar door warned me that someone was already inside. However, the room was still engulfed in darkness, other than the littlest amount of light spilling into the room through the open door.

"Ducan?" I called out as I stepped inside.

No answer. I walked deeper into the room while trailing my fingers across the wall, trying to find the light switches in the dark.

"Ducan, are you here?" I asked again.

"What do you have with him?" Someone asked and the lights flickered on right after that.

"Zander? I thought that Ducan was scheduled today?" I blinked in confusion.

"We swapped," Zander answered after closing the door behind him.

A thousand thoughts flooded my mind. Why would Ducan want to swap with Zander? Does he feel awkward with me? Or did Zander initiated the swap?

"What's with that expression? Don't get the wrong idea. It's his idea not my idea."

That's a lot of ideas. In a literal sense.

I raised a brow. "What do you think my idea was?"

He did not answer my question directly. "I do not relish in the idea of spending even more time with you."

"I guess we are on the same page then," I rolled my eyes.

"Time to clean," he reminded and moved further into the room with me right behind him.

He placed the bucket and rags down with a thud. "We can start our separate work now."

"Give me a second," I picked up a chalk lying on the floor and started drawing a clear line, dividing the room into halfs.

"What are you doing?" he asked curiously.

"Done!" I picked up the bucket and placed it on the line.

"Now that there's a clear separation," I tapped the line with my foot. "We're both happy and we can get to work. So, don't cross the line with your feet okay?"

"Are you serious? Cause that's absolutely fine with me."

"Whoever crosses this line is an evil bunny," I established.

"Evil bunny?" he gave me a look of disbelief.

"For the lack of a better word, let's just settle on that for now."

"Bunny or no bunny, I won't cross that line," he stated matter- of-factly.

"Mark your words," I said.

"Mark my words. Are you satisfied? Can we get to work now? You don't appreciate sleep but I do," Zander said in irritation.

"Alrighty," I picked up the cloth and got to work.

I know I was supposed to be cleaning, but it was the first time I set my eyes on these metal bodies and they intrigued me. I was amazed by the fine and meticulous craftsmanship. I would never put myself as someone who love weapons but I do. However, that's only because it was a job well done. I would really love to meet the skillful master one day.

Each time I went to the bucket to dipped the dirty cloth in, I found that I had to lean further and further outwards to avoid stepping on the line. Then, realisation dawned upon me.

Just the Start. (The Clovers series: Book 1)On viuen les histories. Descobreix ara