Chapter 30

"Why did you do that?" Gladion questioned calmly.

If not for the slightly shaky teacup in his hand, I would have believed that he was totally composed.

"Isn't it obvious? I detest her," Senon spat with such conviction that I was unnerved.

"So you think it's right to frame her? Your leader?" Gladion reminded sternly.

"Who cares if she's our leader? She's weak. Haven't you heard of the rule? Survival of the fittest," Senon sent me a fiendish smile and I took a step backwards.

I know that I'm not the strongest. But I find it hard to believe that I could be hated for being weak.

Gladion's brows were drawn together in confusion.

"If you want her dead so much, why did you turn yourself in?"

"With so many people backing her up," Senon glared at Ducan and Zander for emphasis. "What more can I do? I turned in for a lighter punishment."

Gladion's gaze swept past Zander, Ducan and me briefly before going back to Senon.

"Oh don't worry, you'll have a lighter punishment alright," Gladion smiled in a sickeningly civil way. "Now, hand over the key."

With the gait of a nobleman, Senon swaggered forward and slammed the key on the table.

"Now, leave this place and never come back," Gladion ordered.

Senon's mouth hung open in disbelief. "What?"

"I said leave this place and never come back," Gladion repeated, his gaze locked in a penetrating glare on Senon.

"Bb...but why? I'm the strongest! You'll need me for the war!" Senon argued.

"You pose a huge danger to the group and we're in no need for that. You are now banished. I'm giving you an opportunity to walk away with your life Senon. Pick wisely." Gladion's voice was authoritative and determined, showing that he was far from relenting.

Senon looked towards Zander and Ducan anxiously for support. When they provide him with none, his face contorted into pure rage and indignance.

"Someday, you're gonna regret picking her over me! All of you will!" Senon bellowed.

I shrank back at his words.

"Do you need me to walk you out?" Gladion asked in a tone even sharper than any sharpened blade.

"Bloody hell all of you! Go burn in hell!" Senon stomped towards the door and flung it open with a resounding bang.

He then exited the room, a long string of profanities trailing behind him in reminder of his threat.

I didn't realised I was holding my breath in until I released a huge sigh of relief.

"How is he going to leave the caves without a map?" I asked.

"That's his problem, isn't it? You should be thankful that this happened. The case is now closed," Gladion finalised in a strident voice.

Somehow, I felt that Gladion was different. He has always been stern, but he seemed to display even more hostility now.

"Let's go," Ducan steered me towards the open door and I obliged.

However, I had a question nagging at the back of my mind. If Senon did not own up to his mistake, would I have been the one being banished?

The lone thought of entering the treacherous caves without a map was too frightening.

******************************