Chapter 31

After yesterday, you would expect Falice to want to stay away from me like how I wanted to avoid her. However, she did otherwise. She approached me.

"Hey Fortis!" she chirped. "Did you sleep well last night?"

I knew that what she meant to say was 'why didn't you just die in your sleep?'.

"What do you want?" I regarded her warily.

"What do you mean? I'm just worried because you looked down," Falice frowned, looking upset.

For a moment, I wondered if this was the same Falice I had spoken to yesterday. Could she have an evil twin that I don't know of? I diminished that insane idea straightaway.

"Nonono don't frown," I tugged the corner of her lips into a smile. "I can't afford putting that on the face of a goddess."

She scowled and her hands flicked upwards to slap my hands away. However, I dropped them before she could do so.

"Isn't it tiring to act? Why are you still pretending to be nice to me? What are you trying to achieve?" I demanded in irritation.

"Haven't you heard of it? Keep your friends close. Your enemies closer," she smiled smugly.

I had the huge urge to whack that smirk out of her face but I simply narrowed my eyes at her.

"Do you even have friends?"

"I don't need such useless ties," she whispered angrily.

Useless? Is she serious?

"I actually feel bad for Senon. He sacrificed for you but he did not even make it to your friend's list," I shook my head with a disappointed sigh.

"It's his choice," she shrugged.

"It's not right to make use of someone else. Do you not feel guilty at all?"

"Why would I be? It's not like I begged him to do it," Falice rolled her eyes.

"You know what? I thought that mixing peanut butter with curry is disgusting," I gave her a once over. "But you're even more disgusting. What a waste. Such a beautiful exterior paired with such a rotten personality."

"You better watch what you say," Falice smiled threatening.

"Sorry but I'm not like you. I don't have a goddess image to keep up to," I retorted.

I could sense her silently fuming behind that fake smile and I mentally prepared myself to dodge in case she decided to claw at my face in rage.

Suddenly, a gong sounded and we turned towards the noise.

"There will be another round of assessment today. Gladion would come down personally to witness the whole process. You will be up against your sparring partner and have five minutes as usual. The rules are a bit different this time round. Stones will be used to mark the fighting perimeters. As long as you get your opponent to step outside the perimeter, it counts as a win. Sequence will be decided by Gladion himself when he arrives. All of you can train until then," Zander announced.

What? There's an assessment today and Gladion's coming down to watch us?

"How interesting..." Falice commented much to my annoyance.

"Are you prepared to lose again?" Falice asked sweetly.

I ignored her.

"Are you giving me the silent treatment?" she questioned.

I remained silent.

"Why don't we make a friendly pact? If you lose to me deliberately during today's assessment," she suggested wryly. "I'll leave you alone."