Chapter 29

*A week later*

"Who's in charge of cleaning the weapons yesterday?" Ryon yelled as he rushed into the battle courtyard, causing everyone to cease training instantly.

The fear and urgency that laced his voice denoted that something unpleasant had happened. My heart slammed against my ribcage erratically as a thousand possibilities sprang to mind. What happened?

I raised my hand into the air hesitantly, earning the stares of everyone. Zander and I were supposed to clean the weapons yesterday but Gladion had summoned to see him, leaving only me to complete the duty.

"What happened?" Zander asked on everyone's behalf.

"Ttt...the weapons...tthey...they are all corroded!" Ryon stuttered out to everyone's horror.

My mouth turned dry. But...How?

"Don't come to any conclusions yet. Continue training until I get back," Zander announced, his gaze lingering on me for a few seconds.

"Show me the weapons," he told Ryon.

Ryon nodded grimly and the both of them set off towards the Weapon Room.

"What did I tell all of ya? She's here to ruin us, not help us!"

My cheeks burned at the accusation but I could not say anything to defend myself. I don't even know what to say.

"Fortis. Zander said not to jump to any conclusions yet," Falice took my hand comfortingly with a firm look on her face.

"If you know what's good for you, hold your tongue!" Ducan glared at Yaa before walking over to me.

"Fortis, don't worry. I'll settle it," Ducan placed a hand behind my back reassuringly.

I wanted to tell them it's not me. That I did not do that. But I'm not even sure of it myself. I could be the one who caused the weapons to corrode. It's my first time cleaning the weapons without any supervision after all.

"Maybe it's Ryon's mistake. You know how he is," Falice added.

"Falice, I swear that you're too nice. How could you still comfort a perpetrator?" Senon scowled.

I hated that I could only stand there and absorb his unsupported theory.

Zander and Ryon came back then, bringing some weapons along with them.

Zander threw the weapons on the grass with a clatter and everyone swarmed in to observe.

I merely stood in my place, too afraid to move forward and check the truth. The gasps from those who had seen the weapons told me that my fear had been proven anyways.

"Well she's dead," I heard Senon mutter in cruel satisfaction.

"What did you use to clean the weapons yesterday?" Zander asked me, his eyes narrowed at Senon.

"I used what you told me to. The bucket at the side of the door," I recalled.

"I've checked. There's no bucket there at all. Are you sure you left it there after cleaning?"

"Yes," I nodded confidently. My memory never fail me.

"Did anyone enter the Weapon Room at any point of time between yesterday night and this morning?" Zander scanned the crowd as he asked.

A series of 'nos' were heard.

"Okay. No matter what, we'll have to report this to Gladion first," Zander said and I gulped.