Chapter 13

"That's all for today," Ducan announced to my disappointment.

"Can we train a little longer? I still haven't gotten the techniques right." I requested, wiping away the sweat trickling down the side of my face.

"No, your face is already red from being under the blazing sun for hours."

"I'm fine, really." I tried to convince Ducan. I still can't get the techniques right and I want to practise longer.

"It's too hot, Fortis. We can continue tomorrow." Ducan stood his ground.

"But I," I stepped towards him to protest but a wave of dizziness swept over me. The next thing I know I swayed and pitched forward, right into a pair of strong arms.

"Are you okay, Fortis?" My eye focused onto Ducan's expression. His brows were furrowed in worry.

"I..I'm fine," I pulled away from him, slightly embarrassed.

"Drink some water," Ducan picked up a bottle from the ground swiftly and handed it over to me.

"Thanks," I unscrewed the cap. The water was warm due to the sun but still sufficient in quenching my thirst and cooling me down.

"Let's head inside," Ducan ushered me towards the exit and I obliged. There's no point in objecting anymore. I'm certainly not in the condition to continue training outside in this scorching weather.

I stole one last glance at Zander, who is still up on the tree. How is he able to stand the heat?

"I'll go and wash up. See you later at dinner," I trotted up the steps.

"Will you be alright on your own?"

"Yup. I'm a Clover, remember?"

As I reminded him, it was as though I was reminding myself too. It felt weird, admitting aloud that I am a Clover and not a human.

"Okay then, see you later!" he waved back just before I disappeared up the stairs.

It did not take long for me to wash up. Soon, I was out of the shower, clean and rejuvenated. I was brushing through my hair when I my eyes landed on an object by the sink. It brought back unpleasant memories. I picked it up and stuffed it into my pocket. There no need for it anymore. I will return it to Zander later.

******************************

"Are you feeling better now?" Ducan asked.

"Yeah," I kept my reply short. I did not want Gladion to question me about it.

"What happened?" Gladion caught on immediately, just as I predicted.

"Oh, it's nothing." I answered swiftly before Ducan had a chance to get a single word out.

Gladion stared at me with his unblinking eyes and I froze in my seat.

"Ducan, what happened?" Gladion repeated, his eyes still trained on me.

Ducan cleared his throat. "We were training under the hot sun in the afternoon and she was a little dehydrated."

"Oh," Gladion finally released his hold on me. "Be more careful in future."

Both of us nodded in unison. We went back to having our meals.

"By the way, why aren't you and Zander talking? Did you guys quarrel?"

Ducan's eyebrows shot upwards and my mouth went dry. Why can't Gladion just eat and leave me alone.

"No, we did not." I picked up some fries from the serving plate and placed it on Zander's plate. "He just doesn't like to speak when he eats."