Chapter 12

Everyone was present for lunch. Even Gladion. I don't know about the others but I felt extremely uncomfortable at the table. I was worried that Gladion would realize that I had lied to him about being good friends with Zander. As for Ducan, I was stressed about how I could start the conversation. What should I do if he admits that he does not see me as a friend and I have made a mistake? I would seem like a desperado. Plus, I'm uncertain of how William felt about our little exchange just now. The term of self-destruction seemed appropriate to me in this context. I had caused my own problems and I would have to solve them myself. I placed my utmost attention on the food on the table, as though they were divine food. If I eat, I would have a logical reason to be silent. The faster I finish my food, the faster I can get out of this awkward situation. Or situations.

Suddenly, the unfortunate happened. I choked on my food, spitting the half-chewed contents on the floor. I clamped my hand over my mouth as I coughed. That was close! If I did not twist my head to the side at the last moment, Zander's face would be a brilliant masterpiece.

Gladion stared at me, appalled at my unrefined behaviour. I was suddenly the center of attention at the table. William and Ducan looked a little shock whilst Zander had an irritated look on his face.

"Why are you gobbling down your food?" Gladion asked in a reprimanding tone.

"Sorry, I'm famished."

He pursed his lips in a firm line.
"I'm sure there is more food in the kitchen. You can eat slowly."

I nodded. It was a blessing in disguise. Now, they would think that I'm not saying anything because I'm too busy eating. The rest of the meal went in absolute silence, with me forcing my poor stomach to take in a larger portion of food than my original appetite. Full is an understatement of how I felt. I felt like vomiting. My plan worked for today but I can't possibly do this every meal. I would experience indigestion or even grow out of the clothes I'm given soon enough.

******************************

"I'm sorry but I don't think I can train right now. I'm bursting," I confessed to Ducan.

He looked at me, amusement dancing in his eyes.

"I'm sure you ate more than the rest of us combined at the table," Ducan chuckled. "I didn't know that your small stomach could fit in all that food."

"It's not funny," I grumbled. I already regretted the unwise decision I had made.

"Haha that's okay. We can start training later today," he suggested.

"Yes please," I agreed with him wholeheartedly.

He leaned against the wall, to my relief. I'm sure that I would throw up if I were to sit down.

"Hey Ducan," I drawled out slowly.

Should I go straight to the point? Or ask him indirectly?

"Yes?" he turned to me.

"Are we friends?" I asked bluntly.

"Of course," his eyes widened in surprise. "Do you not want to be?"

"I do. I'm just checking if you felt the same way," I cleared my throat awkwardly.

"Yup we're friends," he confirmed. I released an imaginary sigh of relief upon knowing that our feelings were mutual.

Looks that my worries are uncalled for.

"Unless you want us to be more than friends," he fake contemplated.

"I'm contented with us being friends, thank you." I turned him down immediately with a shake of my head.

"Are you sure?" he confirmed.