Chapter 14

It's six in the morning and it's still dark outside. I was unable to have a good night's sleep due to multiple troubles that assaulted me. I ended up tossing and turning the whole night, which contributed to the darker rings of circles under my eyes. Zander's grandfather's words kept replaying through my head like a broken tape. Should I let Zander know about his grandfather's thoughts? But it's between them, should an outsider like me interfere? Furthermore, how should I apologize to Zander for my accusations? I fiddled with my clover-shaped necklace. I was so obsessed in my thoughts that I did not notice the extra shadow that stretched out beside mine.

"You're early," an orotund voice startled me.

"Oh hey," I greeted Ducan. "You're pretty early yourself."

"Yup. I can't seem to get any sleep," he dropped down on the grass beside me.

I shifted myself so that I was facing him. "Why? Is something troubling you?"

"Nothing's troubling me," he denied with a shake of his head.

I studied his expression closely. "Are you sure? I'm all ears if you wish to rant anything out."

"Thanks but there's really nothing," the corner of his mouth lifted. "The same goes to you."

I smiled.

"So...you're friends with Zander now?" he threw me the question out of the blue and I grimaced.

"No, we're not."

Ducan scratched the side of his neck. "Then why would you act like that back there?"

"It's complicated...How do I put it...?" I sighed.

How should I explain this?

"It's okay if you don't wish to elaborate," he asserted quickly.

I peered over at him and he smiled reassuringly. All he have been was nice to me and yet, I had kept so many things from him. We are friends, I should trust him more. He would have hurt me by now if he wanted to too. I don't know how well he'll take this but it's time for me to tell him the truth. However, I would have to be careful not to expose Zander, since we already had an unspoken agreement between us.

"Um..." I cleared my throat. "On those days that I was supposed to rest in my room, I was actually searching for the most recent map of the caves in Gladion's room. Unfortunately, I was caught by Zander on the last day."

His eyes widened in disbelief at my confession. "What do you need the map for?"

"I wanted to pay a visit to Savage in the caves. I realized that he's not a Clover since his broken leg was not healed. That means that he might be from Earth...like me..."

"You're not thinking of going back to Earth, are you?"

"I want to go back. To reassure my mother that I'm safe before coming back here to fulfill the end of my deal with Gladion."

"Gladion would never allow that."

"I guessed. That's the reason why I did not ask him directly. I'm afraid of how he would react. So, I resorted to trying to obtain it secretly instead."

"And Zander caught you before you succeed?" Ducan speculated.

"Yes. Remember that day when I left the table abruptly?"

"When you told me that you were going to the bathroom?" he checked.

"I'm sorry I lied," I lowered my head guiltily. "I thought that Zander was going to tell on me when both him and Gladion were not present at the table. So, I went to stop him before he could say anything. When I burst into the room without an appropriate reason, I thought I was going to be exposed. However, Gladion somehow speculated that I was worried about Zander skipping his meal. So I acted out of instinct and went with the flow. That's why Gladion thought that Zander and I were good pals. At the dining table, I had to act that way to keep up with the lie and avoid getting caught."