Chapter 15

*Two days later*

Ever since that morning Ducan shared about his past, it was as though something in us clicked. A camaraderie that was barely even there before, was formed between us. Just yesterday, Ducan had slipped a folded piece of paper to me during training. When I unfolded it, I was in a mixed state of euphoria and mystification.

/Flashback/

"Oh my god! How did you even get this?" I wheezed.

"I have my ways," he shrugged with a smile. "You want it badly, right?"

"Yup I do! Thanks billions!" I cried out gratefully. Just thinking of the prospect of seeing my mother again soon made my blood bubble in excitement.

"What? No hugs or anything?" Ducan exclaimed in mock hurt.

"Okay," I smiled and tugged the map away into my pocket carefully.

He was grinning from ear to ear. He lifted his arms up but I avoided it, moving to his side. Then, I wrapped my arms around him from the side and pat him on the back firmly.

The grin on his face was wiped away clean. "What's this?" he complained and turned to face me.

"A friendly hug. It's a buddy hug I had read from books. I've always wanted to try that with a friend," I beamed.

"That's not the hug I wanted," he groaned.

"It's not? It seemed cool enough for me. What is it that you wanted?" I responded as I swept my fringe out of the way. They're getting longer and blocking my line of sight.

Suddenly, I was pulled forward into a hard, solid chest. Arms wrapped around me and I felt a hot breath on top of my head. Like water hitting zero degree celsius, I froze.

"This is the hug I wanted," Ducan whispered and my breathing became shallow.

Before I could lift my hands to push him away, he released me.

I stepped backwards quickly and narrowed my eyes at the smug look on his face. I could feel my face inching towards the colour of a tomato.

"You jerk!" I shouted.

I have never been hugged by anyone before, let alone a guy.

"What? I merely showed you the hug I meant. It's better to demonstrate than to explain," he winked.

"Asshole," I muttered crossly.

He was not the least offended by what I called him. Instead, he chuckled. He was clearly amused.

"Whatever. Bye, Ducan. I've got to go," I flounced away, jubilant that I had the map with me.

Mum I'm coming, wait for me.

"Wait!"

I halted and swiveled to face Ducan. "Yes?"

"How about I come with you?"

"No, you can't. I need you here to hold the fort for me. What if Gladion asked about me?"

"Okay. You'll come back, right?" his voice sounded perturbed.

"Yup, of course." I flashed him a smile of conviction and left.

******************************

It's a good thing that it's early in the morning. Most of the Clovers were still sound asleep. However, they should be stirring soon. I have around 20 minutes to do this. To my luck, there was no one guarding the entrance to the caves. After taking one good look at the map, I stuffed it back into my pocket before entering the caves. Ducan had already marked out Savage location with a cross, making things easier for me.