Chapter 39

We managed to reach the battle courtyard without confronting anyone.

"Vale," Zander whispered.

We froze when a young figure stepped out of the shadows of the trees.

As my brain registered who was it, relief washed over me.

"Ducan?" I stepped forward but Zander stopped me from advancing further by placing a firm hand on my shoulder.

"We don't know if he's with Gladion," Zander had his eyes fixed on Ducan like a hawk.

I turned back to face Ducan hesitantly. Could he really be with Gladion?

"Fortis, I'm not with Gladion. You believe me, don't you?" Ducan asked, his eyes burning with sincerity.

Of course. How could I ever doubt him?

"I believe you," I told him.

I shrugged off Zander's hand and jogged towards Ducan. A relieved smile appeared on Ducan's face at my response.

"What happened Fortis? I knew that you would never be a spy sent by the Weeds." He then looked behind me pointedly. "Did Zander get you implicated in his mess?"

"No it's not his fault," I said hurriedly as I caught Zander stiffening visibly. "I want to leave myself."

"Why? Is this got to do with the note you left in my room?" he pulled a note out of his pocket.

I nodded.
»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»
Hey Ducan,
I'm sorry for leaving so suddenly but I have my reason...Don't take any pills that Gladion distributes no matter what! They're not safe! If possible, you should leave the place asap. I don't know if we'll ever meet again after this:( but it's really nice knowing you:') you're the first friend I've made and I'll never forget the kindness and help you have shown me. Thanks millions for everything and please take care!
(P.S. Help me to convey this message to Zander and William too.)
»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»

"What pills are you talking about?" Ducan asked, lifting up the paper in his hand.

I turned my head slightly to find that Zander had moved closer. Even though his eyes were trained on the door, I could tell that he was listening.

"Gladion..." Once I say it out, I must definitely leave this place.

"He's intending to use the Aconitenol drug to control his people," I revealed the secret that had been weighing down on me ever since I stumbled upon it.

Ducan's jaw grew slack at that revelation.

He must not have known about it too.

"Come with us, Ducan. It's not safe here," I urged. "We don't know when Gladion would force us to take that drug."

He blinked. "But if we leave, the rest..."

A pang of guilt washed over me.
Focused on self-preservation, I had completely forgotten about the safety of the rest. They weren't the nicest people around. But they were nonetheless, living beings.

"We don't have time to consider about the rest," Zander cut in. "We have trouble getting out ourselves and they are all brainwashed by Gladion. They won't believe us."

Ducan narrowed his eyes at Zander before turning back to face me.

"Fortis, we can't just leave like that. I'm sure we can talk them around," Ducan said, his tone softer.

Zander cleared his throat. "Before that, we would have arrows in our bodies."

The image of Perry aiming the arrow at me flashed before my eyes and I flinched.