Chapter 6

I was early for lunch. The two doors at opposite ends of the dining room burst open the instant the bell went off. People streamed in and filled up the seats quickly.

I caught sight of Ducan the moment he entered and he flashed me a smile. I found myself smiling back at him. However, the moment I spotted Zander behind Ducan, my smile faded. Our eyes met briefly and I dropped my gaze to the table in front of me. I don't think I'd ever forget what he said in the meeting room. That was the price I had to pay for listening in to others' conversation. William took his place beside me, his eye patch still in place. I shifted slightly to look at him but he showed no indication that we had spoken to each other before. Gladion's seat was vacant but nobody spoke about his absence. Zander must know the reason since he was with Gladion just awhile ago. Lunch was omelette rice with mushroom soup. The soup was creamy and rich, not like the diluted ones I had in school. Also, the cook who had prepared the omelette was not stingy with the cheese at all. Just the sight of the meal cheered me up instantly. I dug in, all worries momentarily forgotten. In just five minutes, my plate and bowl was already empty.

"Tasty?" Ducan asked just as I ate the last of my omelette.

"It was good," I nodded, satisfied. "Do you guys get to eat these often?"

"Yup, all the time."

I sighed. "Too bad I'm not going to stay here for long."

"Why not?"

"Because..." I was about to explain when it occurred to me that Gladion have not told him about where I came from. Does he know that I'm from Earth? Am I supposed to tell him? And what about William?

"Because?" Ducan raised his brows.

"Time to train," Zander spoke up suddenly to my surprise. His plate was already empty like mine.

Why must he remind me of his presence. The anger I had felt returned and I remained in my seat, unmoving.

"Didn't you hear what I said?"

I fiddled with the metal spoon on my plate. He was annoyed and so was I.

"Clearly," I answered without sparing him a glance.

I felt the heavy weight of his stare boring down on me but I refused to look at him. It would only intensify the anger inside of me. The angrier I made him, the more satisfied I was.

"Very well, you can choose to stay here." I caught on to what he was implying fast. As much as I hated to follow his orders, I knew that I had no choice. If I want Gladion to keep his end of the deal, I had better kept mine too.

I stood up abruptly and was prepared to go after Zander, who was already halfway across the room.

"You're leaving?" Ducan sounded surprise. Unsure if he meant leaving this place or the dining room, I didn't give him a direct answer.

"See you guys around," I waved to Ducan and then to William tentatively. Ducan waved back whereas William gave me a nonchalant look before adverting it back to his unfinished meal. I guess that was his way of acknowledging it. I figured that he was a worthy friend to make. If I am going to be here for an unknown period of time, I don't see why I shouldn't make some friends. However, jubilant as I was to make friends here, I know that I would return home eventually. What would happen to the friendship forged here then? I shrugged the thought away. I would deal with it when the time comes. For now, I would have to focus on things that would aid me in getting home soon. For example, training.

******************************

"Aren't we going to the weapon room first?"

"No."