Chapter 16

I watched a myriad of activities in the courtyard from above as the wind picked up strands of my hair into the air. Everyone is training hard. I should too. For my sake as well as my mother's. I can't die on the battlefield. The sooner this ends, the sooner I'll be reunited with her and back in my comfortable abode.

My mind trailed back to my conversation with Savage. Should I risk it? What if he was telling the truth? I was in such a pensive mood that I paid no attention to the footsteps behind me. It was not until the person took his place beside me did I notice his presence.

"Oh hey William," I greeted him with a tiny smile before being sucked back into my thoughts.

I must find another opportunity to apologize to Zander. I don't know what came over me that made me reacted that way just now. I was just disturbed by the fact that Zander was ignoring me. Sure, I have been ignored by others since young. But I want to change that. I want to start afresh. We had started off on a rough patch, but I was thinking of fixing things between us. It would be easier having a friend than an enemy. Then, there's Ducan. I thought we were fine but apparently there are some problems surfacing. What got him so upset?

"William," I swiveled my head to face him.

"Hm?"

"Do you have a good friend?" I questioned.

"No," he answered curtly.

"Okay," I swallowed. "Let's say you have a friend."

"I don't," he replied and I winced.
I don't have one until I'm in Idris. I wonder if he experienced the same loneliness I did.

"Can you please pretend you have one momentarily?" I pleaded with my palms pressed together.

"Fine," he snapped and my face lifted.

"If your friend is getting along extremely well with you one moment and then changed his attitude towards you the next time he meets you, what does it mean?"

"He's bipolar," William stated rawly.

My jaw dropped.

"Really?" I checked in disbelief.

"Has he been like that more than once?" William threw me the question.

I thought back to another time when Ducan's attitude changed dramatically. It was on the day when Gladion raised suspicion towards the relationship between Zander and I. He had collected his plate and left the table in a gloomy mood. The next time I saw him, he was back to his playful self.

"Well...yes," I chewed my bottom lip uneasily.

"Then do he have an unpleasant and traumatic episode in his life?"

Ducan's recollection of his childhood flashed through my mind.

"Yes..." I gulped.

"Do he have an inflated self-esteem or grandiosity?"

"I guess so..."

"There you go. He's bipolar," William surmised with a straight face.

Is that so? Ducan's bipolar? Why haven't I realized this sooner? I must be such a horrible friend to have.

"How can you help them?" I looked to William for assistance.

He re-adjusted his eye-patch before replying, "Make sure they take their medicines on time and spend more time with them. Creating happy memories might help."

"Oh thank you!" I threw my arms around William out of pure gratefulness.

"Let go, can't breathe..." he drew out and I released him quickly with an apologetical smile.