Chapter 33

*After dinner*

I hardly got any sleep that night. Ducan was persistent. He had questioned me about Falice again and I was so close to spilling the beans. The only thing that stood between him and the truth was my wavering resolve. And the only thing that prevented me from revealing the truth was my concern towards him as a friend.

It had became a habit for me to go to the battle courtyard whenever I lost the entrance ticket to dreamland. I closed my eyes and inhaled deeply. The crisp night air filled my lungs, refreshing me almost instantly. However, my breath was cut off when clammy fingers closed around my shoulder from behind.

"I was wrong about ya. Let's put the past behind us and be friends. What do ya think?" Yaa suggested with a greasy smile.

There was no sense of hostility from him. It was as though it had completely disappeared without a trace. Nevertheless, his cloudy eyes still held hidden intentions. A shiver ran down my spine at his hundred eighty degree change in attitude.

"Not interested," I moved to walk away quickly.

He swung me around forcefully, his fingers digging into my skin. "There's no harm consid..."

My defense mechanism kicked in and I twisted my body, throwing him over my back onto the ground. I gasped when I realised what I had done.

"Ya!" he pointed an accusing finger at me.

"Sorry...T...that was an accident..." I apologised.

His angry expression slowly faded away and a sly grin crept into his expression as he stood back up. "Well, I'll forgive ya if ya agree to be friends."

I decided then that I would prefer him to stay angry.

There's no way I would be friends with him and I'm not going to pretend to comply either.

I was deciding between two options-making a break for it or giving him another hip throw before that-when he cried out in pain.

"Who's there?" his high pitched yell rang through the night.

One of his hands were massaging his temple.

Huh? Did that throw damage his brain maybe?

I was considering opting for my first option when I saw it. A small rock smashed against his temple before dropping to the ground.

"Who the hell did that?" Yaa was simmering now, his voice close to a snarl.

Spotting a dark figure behind a tree, I went boggle eyed.

When the third rock flew at him, Yaa hurled obscenities into thin air abusively.

A brilliant idea popped into my mind.

"Casper, he's my friend. Be nice!" I wagged my finger firmly at the spot of empty air beside Yaa.

"Who are ya talkin' to?" Yaa swung around wildly to scan his surroundings.

"My friend. He's just next to you," I replied with a straight face.

He turned to his sides again before looking at me with dilated pupils. "Wh...Who?"

"My friend. I met him here a few days ago at midnight. He said he's bored to death underground so he would like someone to talk to."

"Ff...friend?" his knees were shaking so badly that they were knocking together now.

"Yup, can't you see him?" I questioned in mock confusion.

He shook his head vigorously.

Then, I turned to the blank space beside Yaa again. "What?"

He eyes grew larger at my action.