Chapter 8

I left the dining hall alone right after dinner and found my feet taking me to the battle courtyard. The door was wide open. It was quiet and peaceful out here in the night. I scanned the clearing and walked into it when I saw no one.

"Some nerves ya got there," a man who looked to be in his thirties remarked, coming up from behind me.

I jumped at his voice and turned around to face him. Not sure if he was complimenting or insulting me, I kept my mouth shut.

"I'm talkin' to ya girl. Are ya deaf or what? We are doomed following a weakling like ya. I'd be happy if ya don't drag us down so scram while ya still can," he sneered.

What makes him think that I'll drag him down? I gritted my teeth.

"Who are you to tell me that? I won't leave just because you asked me to."

"Ya think ya are stronger than me because ya are one of the leaders? I'm tellin' ya that I'm not scared of a puny girl like ya. Gladion must be fooled by ya witchcraft!"

I clenched my fist, incensed at the accusations that he hurled my way without reason. I was holding my tongue but he was crossing the line.

"Are ya done with your yapping? Ya are hurting my ears, ya know?" I retorted.

"Don't know what's good for ya? Let me teach ya a lesson to wisen ya up!" he raised his fist and prepared to throw it at my face.

Before his fist collided with my face though, it halted an inch away from my eyes. I blinked. Did he change his mind?

I looked at him but he had the same confounded look I had.

"Are you sure you want to do that? Cause Gladion would not be very happy about you disobeying his orders." Zander's voice floated to us from above.

I looked up and spotted Zander on top of a tree. How did he get up there? He jumped down from the tree and landed on the grass with the grace of a cat. Looks like Telekinesis is at work again.

The hand in front of my face dropped and I stepped backwards quickly.

"One day ya'll regret stopping me from slamming my fist into this girl's brains when a pile of dead bodies lie before ya feet!" he spat before stomping back to the exit.

"Having a sharp tongue will get you nowhere," Zander remarked after that man had left.

"Don't expect me to thank you. I can handle a blow myself."

"Don't think too highly of yourself. I have no intention of saving you. Both of you were causing such a ruckus and I merely wanted some silence."

"I'm sorry for ruining the serenity of the night then. Continue what you were doing, I shall take my leave this very instant," I turned away from him and made my way out in purposefully slow steps, making sure to squish the grass beneath my feet as I walked.

******************************

Not wanting to deal with anymore encounters tonight, I made my way back to my room quickly. Not long after showering, I dozed off with the celebration still ongoing.

I'm not sure what time is it when I was awaken by shufflings along the corridor. I was a light sleeper and the littlest noise could wake me up. The celebration must be over. I was about to close my eyes and go back to sleep when I heard the footstep stopped outside my door. I jerked up wide-awake and slapped the switches of the lights on. True enough, I spotted a shadow of a figure on the door. That is definitely not the frame of a women. I'm alone and there is no lock on the door.

"Who's there?" I called out in panic.

No answer.

"Ducan? Zander?" I guessed. I heard a low snicker from behind the door. No, not them.