Chapter 10

Where exactly is the map? I have sneaked into Gladion's meeting room three days straight right after my meals were served several times but I still can't find anything useful. This is too risky. I had bumped into Gladion early this morning along his corridor because he had came back early to settle something.

He regarded me with suspicion and the only excuse I could think off was that I am already well and I wanted to resume training tomorrow instead of the day after. My leg was still hurting but I can't take back my words. Gladion was pleased when he heard that and he waved me off with a smile. And so, I was left with only today to find the map and pay Savage a visit. Maybe the map wasn't in the meeting room in the first place. I should try my luck somewhere else...

I was about to leave the room when I heard footsteps coming my way. No! If I were to be found out by Gladion, there's no way I could get away scot free. I ran for the only place in this room where I could hide-a room divider behind Gladion's seat. The moment I took cover, the door slid open.

Peeking through the small line of gap on the divider, I spotted Zander entering the room stealthily. He glanced around the room carefully before sliding the door back close silently. What is he doing here? He looked like he had sneaked in here too. I observed as he walked towards the drawers close to the dividers and started rummaging through them. I have looked through the contents in the drawers yesterday. There were just cultural books and a couple of history books I have never seen before. A deep frown was evident on his face as he did not find what he was searching for. Of course, he did not sneak in just to steal a book to read. After rearranging the books neatly back into the drawers, he moved to the tea table. He looked under the mat, behind the paintings and other places where I had failed to look. One thing to be sure, he was definitely more meticulous than me. What exactly is he after?

Just then, a whistle is heard from outside the room. He immediately doved behind the dividers that I was at and we came face to face with each other. His eyes widened a fraction when he saw me and I just stared back at him, tongue-tied.

I had found a script from Zander on my bedside table yesterday when I was searching for my clover necklace that my mother had given me as a gift. I had misunderstood him. But if he had written a script for me, why didn't he pass it to me? Nonetheless, I'm still disappointed at that he did not come when I desperately needed him.

Gladion entered the room in a seemingly happy mood and went to take his seat on the Zabuton with a book on his hand.

The book is titled- "How to improve father-son relationship."
Gladion had a son? Who? I was perplexed. Zander, on the other hand, seemed not in the least surprised.

In the middle of reading, Gladion lighted a scented incense and placed it in front of him. I watched him cupped his hand as the light-coloured smoke rose and he beckoned the smoke towards him. His shoulders rose as he inhaled and he went back to reading his book. After a few minutes, the soothing scent of lavender filled the room.

As time passed, my injured leg was screaming to take a break. I was straining it too much. No, now's not the time. Gladion had to leave first. Drops of perspiration rolled down the side of my face as I struggled to remain standing. The space was too narrow to sit and my injured foot was trembling from effort. If I bumped into the divider accidentally, Gladion would be alerted of our presence. When is he leaving?

Just then, an arm pulled me towards Zander. I was about to protest but he clammed his hand over my mouth and placed a finger to his lips. Is he reminding me to stay quiet? I nodded and he removed his hand away. I made a move to edge away from him but he pulled me back to him. My eyes flew up to his in question and irritation. What does he want from me?