Chapter 11

Empty. Zander's seat was empty. I thought I saw him just now. Where has he gone off to? Gladion is gone too...Could he...?

I placed my utensils down with a clatter, earning Ducan's and Wiliam's attention.

"What happened?" Ducan asked.

"Nothing. I just need to use the washroom," I lied and make my way to the door. The moment I was out of sight, I made a dash to Gladion's meeting room. Please don't say anything stupid, I prayed.

"Actually Fortis..." I heard the moment I reached outside the meeting room and I slammed the door open.

"Zander!" I warned and they turned to look at me.

"Hi, Fortis. Is there anything you need from him?" Gladion scrutinized me, clearly unhappy that I had burst in without notice.

"I...I did not see him in the dining hall and I...um..." I fumbled with my words. I'm a goner if I say anything wrong.

"Why? You're worried that he'll be skipping his meal?" Gladion guessed.

Not knowing what else to say, I grabbed onto the straw of life that Gladion had unknowningly threw out to me.

"Uhuh," I bobbed my head up and down.

"Oh, you've became such good friends already?" Gladion enquired.

"Yup, friends!" I laughed nervously and avoided Zander's bewildered gaze.

"Oh then it's okay, we were just about to discuss your training progress. I shall not delay his breakfast any longer then," Gladion revealed to my astonishment. So Zander was not planning to tell on me...

I glanced over at Zander sheepishly and he gave me a look that said 'What the hell are you doing?'

"Run along now children," Gladion dismissed us with a wave.

I need to continue this act or Gladion would sense something fishy going on. "Come on, let's go Zander!" I cheerily waved him over and he stood up with a murderous look on his face. I forced my smile in place until the door was closed behind us. Shit. What have I done?

"Since when were we friends?" Zander confronted the moment we were out of Gladion's earshot.

I gulped.

"I'm serious. What were you trying to do back there?" Zander demanded.

"I..." I stared up at him, speechless.

He deserved to know what happened. I swallowed the lump in my throat.

"Okay, I thought that you were going to rat on me so I did that to stop you..."

"I said that I don't need you to tell me. Which part of my words do you not understand?" he glowered.

I narrowed my eyes at him. "I just don't trust you, that's all."

"Even without trust, you should've known that I won't risk it just to turn you in."

"Yup, just like how you would rather let me die than risk your own safety."

His face softened. "I..."

I raised a brow skeptically. Is he going to deny it?

"Never mind," he finished and headed towards the dining hall. I huffed and went into the dining hall after him.

Ducan looked up as Zander and I took our seats at the table. What happened? Ducan conveyed through his eyes. Nothing, I shot him a quick smile.