Chapter 38

*After dinner*

I have to leave tonight. I can't risk being caught.

Gladion's already trying to find out who was the one who discovered the Aconitenols. The reason why I knew that the cup of water is just a test is due to Gladion being careless this time round. He had failed to detect a major loophole in his plan. Since William was also asked to drink from one of the cups, it must be safe. Knowing how much Gladion loves his son, I doubt that he would ever used the Aconitenol on William. That was why I dared to bring the cup anywhere near my lips. I have escaped this time. However, I knew that this would not be his only plan. I can't be a sitting duck and wait for him to execute any other plan to sieve me out. My luck are bound to run out. One thing that baffled me most was how he came to narrow down the suspects to only the four-leafed Clovers. How did he manage to do that within such a short period of time?

Keeping a ear out in case anyone had decided to enter my room, I got to work hastily.

In less than five minutes, I tied my makeshift bag to keep my items contained and performed one last scan around my room to see if there were any more useful items I could bring along with me. In my bag were comfortable clothes, two bottles of water, a combat knife, a notepad, a pen and some food. Getting the food and weapon were tricky. The only thing I lacked now is the map to the caves.

I'll have to get it somehow. But how? I'll have no choice but to take the risk of searching for it in Gladion's meeting room again.

I was thinking about how best I could enter his meeting room without seeming suspicious when I was interrupted. The sound of thundering footsteps and loud voices caused my heart to skip a beat. It sounded like there was a large group of people on this floor.

Don't they know that this level is out of bounds to them? Did Gladion already find out that I was the one who found out his dark secret and ordered for them to take me to him?

Cold sweat broke out from my forehead at the thought of being caught and my mouth turned dry.

Wait a minute...Why does he need so many people to block my escape? I'm not that strong so it doesn't make sense. It can't me me then.

Taking a deep breath to calm my jittery nerves, I kicked my survival bag under the bed. The footsteps were growing louder. Just as I opened the door to inspect what the ruckus was, I was shoved backwards and the door was slammed back closed. I opened my mouth to yell but a hand over my mouth silenced me before I had the chance to do so.

My eyes widened in shock as I processed the familiar figure in front of me.

"What..." I started but Zander dashed past my room towards the window and leapt out.

I gasped. It was a five meters drop from here! What's more, there were sharp spikes at the bottom that could definitely impale you even if you survive the drop.

Just at that moment, the door to my room was flung open. I swung forward to see a group of armed men at the door.

I grew wary immediately.

"Have you seen Zander?" Perry questioned.

What do they need Zander for? Judging by the weapons in their hands, they don't seem like they are here to talk over a cup of tea.

Not able to trust my voice, I shook my head.

Perry narrowed his eyes at me suspiciously.

"You guys go ahead. I'll search here," he waved the others forward.