Chapter 7

It was five minutes to the start of the celebration and I have the entire script memorized thanks to Ducan. However, as good as my memory is, I was afraid that my fear of public speaking would mess everything up. And so, I'm hiding in the shadows of the trees in the corner of the courtyard, reciting the script Ducan had came up with over and over again. I can't help thinking that it's a propaganda but Ducan said that it will boost the morality of the team and satisfy Gladion at the same time.

"I'm Fortis, the last of the four-leafed clovers and a part of your team. In the upcoming war with the Weeds (I learnt through Ducan that the Clovers under Duan's rule are referred to as the Weeds here), I will definitely do my best and lead us to victory. Even if it costs me my life, I will fight my way through and secure us a better future. I am no longer alone. You people are my family as I am yours. We will survive through this difficult period together and emerge victorious! For our common goal, for a better tomorrow, we'll fight together as one."

I heard a snicker and I looked up to see Zander.

"What are you laughing at?" I frowned.

"Your script," he replied.

I directed my gaze back to my script. I considered confronting him about not informing me about the script but with the celebration commencing soon, that's not my top priority.

"The ceremony is starting soon in the dining hall, Gladion is already there." he inserted.

Gladion's already there? I don't need Zander to say more than that. I folded the script and tugged it in my pocket.

Taking a deep breath, I followed Zander to the dining hall.

******************************

I did not realize before but there's a stage hidden behind the curtains in the dining hall. Chairs were arranged in near rows and almost everyone is already seated. Gladion was on the stage whilst William and Ducan were seated in the first row below the stage. Gladion flashed me a look that said 'I will be waiting" and I bowed my head slightly in acknowledgement before I took my seat quickly. It didn't take long for the celebration to begin.

"Dear brothers and sisters, today we are all gathered here to celebrate the start of a new life. Now that we have William, Zander, Ducan and Fortis on our side, we are closer towards our goal. From now until the time our swords clash with the Weeds, we will train hard and support one another through this tough period. It is the Weeds who forced our hands. With Duan still in rule, the Weeds are bound to cause the fall of the clovers. We have to establish new rules, eliminate the weeds and fight for our future. It is our duty to restore the Kingdom to its former glory or reach greater heights. If all of you agree to be part of this, please finish every drop of your drinks. I will do the same with mine."

Having said these, Gladion raised his cup high before downing the contents in it. As emphasis, he turned the cup over after he had drank every drop of the drink inside. I watched in awe as everyone rose to their feet and downed the contents in their cups without question. As far as I can tell, they respected Gladion as their leader. How about me? Will they do the same? I don't expect much since my agenda is to return back home after-all. I just hoped that they would listen to my speech quietly without hurling rotten eggs and vegetables.

Everyone except the four of us in the front row were filled with brimming enthusiasm. William was staring at Gladion with an unfathomable expression, Zander seemed out of sorts and Ducan was glancing sideways at me.

"Are you prepared for your speech?" Ducan asked softly.

"Hm," I nodded and gazed at the floor, swinging my legs in a rhythmic pattern to calm myself down.